Shea’s Tales Pt. 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Now that I’ve been at school for a month, I have been making new friendships and the experience is better than I expected. And, throughout the first month I have experienced the nightlife in Morgantown. During the week, my roommates and I tend to stay in to do homework and study, but one particular night was different.

Kate, my roommate, had introduced Haley and I to a few boys from her hometown. They lived in Towers. So, one night we decided to leave our room and make a trip to visit our new friends. We rode the PRT to Towers around 9:30 p.m. After watching a movie, we decided we better catch a bus before they stopped running. Luckily, we knew one of the boys had a car. We franticly called him only to get rejected of the car ride home. After walking from Summit Hall to Hollywood Theaters with Haley, the walk from Towers to Summit did not seem too bad. But, at this point we were too tired to talk. God love Kate who decided to hitch us a ride with the Sandwich U delivery boy. Tim, my new favorite delivery boy, drove us home! That was the last time we visited those boys during the week.

After living with my family for the past 18 years of my life, one of the biggest concerns I had about college was living with new people. Living with a group of girls isn’t always easy. Sure, sharing clothes and gossiping seems like fun, but whenever you have a group of girls together there is bound to be drama.

I live in a suite at Summit Hall. The room consists of two bedrooms joint by a bathroom. When I chose my roommate last year I decided to live with my cousin Haley. We have always got along and I doubted we would have many problems. The other other girls living with us were completely random. Haley and I prayed all summer that they were normal. I’m not going to lie, I was dreading meeting these two new girls I would be living with over the next year. But, to my surprise I loved them! Kate is a sweetheart; she is from Morgantown and she helped me meet a lot of new friends. And, Kelli and I spent the first few weeks going tanning together.

But, even if you have the most wonderful roommates, there is always going to be drama between girls. Things definitely took a turn for the worse one particular night. It was our friend’s birthday, so Kate, Kelli, Haley and I bought him a cookie cake and made cards for the occasion. The night started off pretty normal, but as the night went on so did the complications. Let me start off by saying that undefined “girl code” states that you don’t flirt with your friend’s crushes. Well, my roommate Kelli hadn’t acquainted herself with “girl code” yet. The only way I know how to describe the situation is to compare it to Jerry Springer. The situation did not seem too out of control until I heard Haley scream, “Do you want me to take my earrings out?” I saw Kelli’s arm flailing and I knew things were about to loose control. The situation divided Haley, Kate, and I from Kelli. What I have learned from the situation is that communication is the only way to solve problems.

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.