The Secret Behind Looking Like An Off-Duty Model All The Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Because runways require models to wear decorative clothes, heavy makeup and intricate hairstyles that require a slew of products, off-duty models have mastered the art of looking simultaneously aloof yet alluring. Luckily, the simple and impossibly chic off-duty look works for us mortals, as well. Day or night, take these straight-from-the-streets-of-fashion-week tips for a spin the next time you find yourself in a style rut.

Second-day hair: Bedroom hair is the number one accessory for kicking any ordinary outfit up a notch. Instead of washing your locks on the daily (which actually does more harm than good), stock up on dry shampoo to create the perfectly undone, morning-after style in seconds. For a neater look, opt for a middle part paired with a low ponytail; for something more casual, flip your mane upside down, tousle with your fingers and allow the hair to part naturally.

Glowing skin: To achieve skin that is clean and that glows without makeup, natural products work best. Moisturize with unrefined coconut oil at night, and use tea tree oil to keep your face looking and feeling fresh throughout the day. Coconut oil doubles as both a leave-in conditioner for your hair and a whitener for your teeth, while tea tree oil also soothes irritated post-shaved or post-waxed skin; no matter what, natural oils ensure that you are always ready for a close-up.

The slip dress: Simple and oh-so-sexy, the slip dress proves itself to be one of your best investments and most-worn pieces for years to come because it is incredibly versatile. No matter the color or length, a slip dress serves up Alpha Woman vibes at any occasion.

A white top: Whether you choose a camisole, t-shirt or button-down, you cannot go wrong with a white top. Effortless, easy and androgynous, everyone should have at least one of each on hand—a white top is the easiest way to add a crisp, clean touch to an otherwise boring ensemble.

Ripped Jeans: Frowned upon by many, ripped jeans actually have potential to look glam when styled correctly. Splurging on a pricey pair of deconstructed denims ensures that they will only get better with age, and that they will never get worn out or ratty—no matter how many days a week you wear them. Light, medium or dark rinse, ripped jeans will pair amazingly well with all your favorite tops.

Sporty sneakers: Sneakers are sleeker and sexier than ever—who would have thought that the gym shoes we once dreaded wearing in grade school would replace our ultra feminine heels? This year classic Adidas made a huge comeback, while a pair of Nike kicks always promises a pop of color to a plain outfit. When you are walking all day, be it on the runway or on campus, your feet will thank you for wearing comfortable, supportive shoes.

Hats: For those days when you cannot be bother to put on makeup or wash your hair, make like a model by tossing on a hat. Whether you are sporting a baseball cap or a wide-brimmed sun hat, it is sure to be the perfect piece to polish off any daytime look.

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.