Samantha Cart and Alexis Claassen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

On March 1st, Alexis and Sam will be holding the 3rd Annual Zumbathon to benefit The American Cancer Society. Every penny donated, collected and made at the event is donated! Last year the girls were able to raise $4,000. The event will be held this Saturday from 10 A.M. to 3 P.M. A five-dollar donation at the door guarantees you four hours of Zumba with professional instructors, a t-shirt and raffle tickets!

In 2012, the pair were RAs at Arnold Hall and Apartments, where Alexis planned the first Zumbathon event. The friends became very close and in 2013, Sam became more thoughtfully involved in planning the second annual Zumbathon. With such great success in years plan, they hope this year will be bigger and better.

Why the American Cancer Society?

Alexis: My dad passed away from pancreatic cancer in April of 2012 after an eight monthly heroic battle. We did it for everyone who has been or will be effected by cancer. No one should have have to experience the pain and suffering that cancer causes.

Sam: Everyone has known someone who has been affected by cancer.  Personally, I support the ACS in honor of my grandfather, my next door neighbor, and a family friend who all passed away. 

Why Zumba as the activity?

Alexis: Everyone can dance or try to dance! It is such a popular activity and we wanted to do something different and unique! 

Sam: For us, the event is more about supporting the American Cancer Society than the Zumba, although it does draw a large crowd of both WVU students and Morgantown community members.    

What do you feel your biggest accomplishment with the event has been? 

Sam: As resident assistants, we were required to do monthly programs.  Most programs are one-time events.  For me personally, the fact that we have been able to create an annual event that people know about (and look forward to) is a huge accomplishment. 

Alexis: Being able to honor my dad through this event and pulling the community together to fight for a common cause. My dad taught me more than I could even explain and especially taught me by example to fight for what I believe in and I believe in honoring my father, my family’a strength and defeating this awful disease.

What has been your favorite part so far?

Sam: I think people would pay $5 for four hours of Zumba instruction.  However, my favorite part is seeing people’s faces when they find out how many other great things we have planned for them at the Zumbathon.  We have a visit from the Mountaineer mascot, representatives from PINK, Mary Kay and (now!) ASOS, and great raffles filled with donations from local businesses.  The way the Morgantown community comes together to support the ACS is unparalleled and really inspiring.   

Alexis: Being able to plan and organize the whole event with my best friend Samantha Cart! 

What lessons have you learned on the way to holding a successful event/ what advice would you give to others who wish to help

Sam: I think to plan a successful event you have to identify something people want/are interested in (in our case, Zumba) and then find a way to make it more appealing than just going to the gym.  Also, I would encourage people to reach out to the community.  We would not have been so successful without the support of local business, people like you, and all of our volunteers. 

Alexis: We love and appreciate all the help and sponsorship we receive! We are more than grateful for any help or donation! The best advice to give to others is that don’t take no for an answer, keep trying and asking and working on it and it will all come together.

What is a quote you live by?

Sam: “What we do for ourselves dies with us.  What we do for others and the world, remains and is immortal.” –Albert Pine

Alexis: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Whats a fun fact about yourselves?!

Alexis: I kicked for my high school boy’s football team and my fiancé was my holder! 

Sam: I have an embarrassing love for awards shows.  I try to watch as many as possible.

Any other words?

Alexis: Thank you to Samantha Cart, Brad Marzullo and Tommy Skinner for the love and support they have given to this event and all of our sponsors who have given us the opportunity to defeat cancer!