This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Name: Ross Vance

Year: junior

Major: exercise physiology 

Where are you from? McKinney, Texas

Q: Why did you decide to attend WVU?  

A: I love the atmosphere here and the coaching staff really sold me on the program and made me excited to play for them. I was also anxious to go somewhere new that I had never been. 

Q: What position do you play?

A: I am a left-handed starting pitcher

Q: How long have you been playing baseball?

A:  I’ve played for as long as I can remember. I started T-ball when I was probably 4 years old. 

Q: How did you get started playing baseball?

A: My Dad asked me if I wanted to play and I fell in love with it from my first day on the diamond. 

Q: What is your favorite thing about playing for WVU?

A: The fan base is fantastic. We run into fellow mountaineers and mountaineer fans everywhere we go and they are always so friendly and have nothing but great things to say about the university, with no surprise. I love going out onto the field and wearing the colors with pride and having a chance to represent this university. 

Q: What has been your best memory while playing for WVU Baseball?

A: Probably my debut last year against Ohio State. We had been on a losing streak and I got an opportunity to get my first start in a mountaineer uniform and I was able to put together a good outing, snap our losing streak, and help get us back on the right track. 

Q: What are your other interests/hobbies?

A: I love my 2 sugar gliders, Zoey and momo. I am also an avid candy crusher: level 846 as of right now.

Q: What do you do during the off-season?

A: Wait impatiently for the season to start. 

Q: What do you plan to do after graduation?

A: I would like to follow baseball for as long as I can but the medical field is where I’m aiming to end up when my career here is done. 

Q: How has baseball impacted your life?

A: It has given something to work for and a goal to strive for. I don’t think I would be who I am without baseball. Since I started baseball back in the day, all I ever thought about was playing professional baseball. It has given me real purpose in life from a young age. 

Any other comments: I had tommy John surgery my freshman year of college and I probably wouldn’t have ended up at WVU had I not had that injury.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.