Reasons Why Having a Pet in College is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Imagine this, you’re having a rough day. You have been cramming for exams, participating in your usual extra-curricular activities, and you just want to lay down and sleep it all off (and maybe cry a little bit too). But, when you open your front door, here runs out the most adorable animal you have ever seen! It’s your pet! They give you so much love and then suddenly, you’re happy and content with your day again. Everyone in college should experience living with a pet because it truly makes college a better place, and here are some reasons why you should as well.

1. You gain lots of responsibility

Though owning a pet in college can be expensive and is a lot of work, it truly teaches how to care for others and a great amount of responsibility. With juggling school work and activities outside of the classroom, adding a pet on top of this shows huge responsibility to everyone around you, especially your parents. There will be much more respect given to you

2. You get lots of love and cuddles

After a rough day (or any day) you get endless amounts of love and cuddles…and what beats that! Sometimes it’s hard to be alone all day and not have any company if you are out and about during classes, so when you return home there is always company eager to greet you. There is no better feeling than feeling loved!

3. You have an excuse to talk to the cute boy you have always wanted to

Picture this. You’re taking your dog out for a walk around campus to exercise. But then you see him, the guy you have been crushing on forever! You have always wanted to talk to him but never have the courage to say anything. But, with your pup present it’s a great conversation starter. No one can resist a cute dog that just wants to say hello to everyone!

4.  Pets in college bring an all-around fun time

With having a pet in the house at school, it brings relief if someone is stressed, happiness if someone is sad, and fun if someone is feeling playful. Whether you have a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea-pig, lizard, or any other animal as a pet, you will feel as if you always have a buddy if no one else is there for you. So go out today if you have been considering having a pet in college and go adopt a furry friend for yourself, you won’t regret it!

I'm from Frederick, MD, but call Morgantown, WV my second home! I am a sophomore at WVU with a major in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Advertising and a minor in Business Administration. I am actively involved with being a sister of Alpha Xi Delta, U-92 FM, WVU AAF Ad Club and the Mountaineer Maniacs. 
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.