“Nail” The Perfect Shades For Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Who would have ever thought that the color of your nails can be judged as much as the outfit you choose to flaunt? Surprisingly enough, the colors and styles of nails have become a predominate fashion on this years runway models.Designers, for example, Marc Jacobs even launched his own cosmetics line this past August, which includes a variety of nail lacquer shades, that he deliberately incorporates into his runway shows. Popular colors to look for this fall at your favorite nail salons are: cherry red, raspberry, chocolate brown, midnight blues, sparkly gold, light oranges and tangerines, emerald and deep greens, and turbulence gray available in holographic shades.

Oscar De La Renta focused on his runway models’ nails even though they were covered by elbow-length gloves during his fashion show! Underneath the extravagant gloves, his models wore his Covet nail lacquer which was a deep mulberry polish from his fall collection. The manicurists created a half-moon shape with this deep fall color, a trend that will be popular this season. 

Chanel’s Fall 2013 fashion show also debuted its line of nail lacquers which included its popular color Elixir, a creamy pink hue not too light but not too vibrant. The popular color in its Fall 2013 “Superstition” makeup collection was seen on all the models during Paris’ Fashion Week. There was no trendy way in which the polish was displayed, but the color alone spoke for itself. 

If you are like myself and seek trendy and risky colors to wear on your nails, I would advise to start out with one of the colors listed above and ombre the color chosen into a neutral based color. You can wear the colors as just tips and add glitter or crystallized stones to add emphasis to your nails. You can also attempt the half-moon shape using two different hues. Another popular Fall 2013 nail trend is graffiti art and creating multiple colored swirls and zig-zags over a base color. 

So next time when you arrive to the nail salon with absolutely no clue as to what color or design you would like next, think about the popular trends that have come straight from the runway and incorporate it into your own style preference. Do not be afraid to try something new and exotic with your nail designs this fall. This season is all about taking risks and nailing your perfect seasonal color and trend. 

Fashion Merchandising major with a minor in Business Administration Senior at West Virginia University From Pittsburgh PA