The Melting Pot of Bows and “Frockets”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It has come to my attention here at WVU that sometimes, (of course not all the time) different girls in sororities and different guys in fraternities let the name of their sorority or fraternity define them. Which is complete bullshit. 

This is not the 1920’s anymore, where people could not expand their friendships outside of their nationality group. Except in this aspect it is totally not as serious. However, no one should think differently of the other person because of “what sorority or fraternity he/she are in”. 

Every girl knows that they joined for a reason; sisterhood, friends, great time, etc. and for guys they all know they joined for girls…girls… booze…maybe girls again… and of course brotherhood.

Although, because of which one they joined does NOT mean they are “bitchy, weird, mean, awkward, total douches, etc. ” Everyone is exactly who they are before they joined AND if anything, their sorority/fraternity has bettered them. Maybe helped someone face their fear to speak up more, or decide to be a leader by running for a position. Joining could have enhanced people in the aspects they were once lacking. Yet at the same time everyone is still a unique individual they started out as. (Except probably with livers about to fail and some better tips on how to do make up or hair/dress better and tie a tie.) 

Girls, you have at least encountered a moment where you are talking to someone and then a question pops up. “So, what sorority are you in” then when they tell you, you think “Wow that’s surprising wouldn’t have guessed that one” or “oh ok… well that makes TOTAL sense now”. NO it does not! People can be mean when they want to be, or god damn peachy when they want to be. People can dress as if they are about to stroll down the Grammy’s carpet, or as if they wanted to spend a night out on the streets with the hobos, solely because that’s WHO they are. Not because which sorority/ fraternity they joined. 

Girls and guys, you are all beautiful, strong, and independent. People rushed and joined exactly where they are now for a purpose and with joining it only helped one have stronger qualities. Along with this we are all Greek, so support one another and make the next “rushees” strive to join! 

Advertisement and Strategic Communications major at WVU School of Media!