Meet Our 2015 Homecoming Queen, Blaire Rigney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Blaire Rigney is from Charleston, West Virginia.  She attended George Washington High School in South Hills, which is a very popular area for Charleston residents.  While she was in high school she was super active!  Blaire ran track, was a cheerleader, and competitively showed Saddlebred Horses for Taylor Made Farm. 

Blaire is currently a senior at WVU and the 2015 West Virginia University, Homecoming Queen.

Q: You were just named the 2015 West Virginia University Homecoming Queen, can you describe how you felt when you heard your name called out as this years winner?

A:  I was ecstatic! It was the best feeling in the world and I am so thankful I got to share it with my family on the field!

Q: Were you surprised that you won or did you have a gut feeling that you may win?

A: I honestly WAS surprised! There were some amazing girls on the court and I knew it was an honor just to be amongst such great leaders of the university. 

Q: How did it feel to be on the field with you mom and dad by your side?

A: It was amazing. My mom and dad are the two most supportive people in my life and I am so glad I got to share one of the best moments of my life with them! They were so excited to be a part of it.

Q: What are you looking forward to during your year as queen?

A: I am looking forward to representing WVU until the next queen is crowned. My mountaineer family has been so supportive along with the Agricultural school. I hope to be as involved as I can!

Q: It seems that everyone on campus thinks that you are ‘one of the genuine people they have ever met’ and that most certainly paid off, do you think being a genuine and happy person has helped you get to where you are today? If so, how?

A: I most definitely think it has. I tried to keep and upbeat positive attitude through the entirety of being on court. I just felt so honored to be one of the five girls on campus to represent WVU. I met so many people while campaigning and I think that not necessarily worrying about if I was going to win or not and focusing on having fun really paid off in the long run. Growing up my mom always told me to “be nice to everyone” and I have her to thank for making me the person I am today.

Q: Is there anything would you like to say to the students and faculty of WVU?

A: A huge THANK YOU to everyone who supported me or voted for me. I know the campaigning can be obnoxious to people at times but everyone on campus was so supportive and helpful it made me so proud to be a mountaineer.

Q: Are there any specific people you would like to thank?

A: I would like to personally thank my sorority, Chi Omega, for helping me campaign and spreading the word that I was on homecoming court. Those girls are truly my sisters and I am so happy I am part of such a wonderful organization. I would also, of course, like to thank my family for being there for me and supporting me throughout the entire process. I truly could not have done it without them, they are so amazing. 

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.