mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Meet One of the 55 Strong: Belinda Baker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The school teachers of West Virginia have been on strike for over a week. In unison, all 55 counties have closed as the strike for increased wages and improved insurance. These teachers have been taking a stand at their own schools as well as in the state capitol. My own mom, Belinda Baker, is one of these many school teachers facing a crisis. She is currently a Special Education teacher at Paden City High School. In light of the unfolding situation, I sat down with her to hear her take on the strike and what it means for state employees.

What made you want to become a teacher? 

When I first graduated from high school in 1992, I originally started out to become a teacher. However, after battling a disease, I decided to change my major and college. I attended West Virginia Tech in Montgomery, WV and pursued a Drafting and Design Degree.  I later went to a branch of the University of Kentucky and received a Business Degree.  It wasn’t until after Graeson was born and started school that I started volunteering.  When Graeson was old enough to walk about 200 yards to the elementary school, I decided to become a substitute teacher.  In 2013, I started the Masters program at WVU in Special Education.  I got my degree in Special Education with Mathematics and Autism. 

Why is there a strike going on? 

All state employees deserve a raise and a better health care plan. Health care is our major concern. Teachers are willing to walk the picket line to fight for all of our needs. We need PEIA funded. The raises that were offered would not cover the cost of our new premiums to our health care. Teachers in WV are one of the lowest paid in the country. Find a way to fund PEIA and that will help so many WV state workers.

Why are you wearing a red bandana around your neck in the photos?

I wear the red bandana to show that I am a “redneck.”  The governor made a comment about how he was going to talk in a “redneck way” to the teachers; therefore, we are going to show him who true “rednecks” are.

Since you’ve been out of school for over a week and counting, do you worry about the kids that are not able to get to school?

Yes, we worry about our kids every day.  We are a 7-12 high school.  We sent food home with our students.  Our students know they can come to the school and will get free food to eat.  We are able to see and communicate with our students since we live in a very small town.  We know all of our students and families. 

Have you encountered any negativity about the on-going strike? 

Yes, we have encountered negativity throughout this time.  We have been screamed, flipped off and one teacher that I know was stopped by a parent when she was getting into her vehicle after walking the picket line.  We want to be in the classroom.  I am a special education teacher and still doing work at home.  I teach three math classes.  I am prepping at home and making sure that when we walk back in the classroom, I am ready to review and move forward with what we were doing before this all started.

What is one thing that you wish people knew about teachers and/or the strike? 

We are fighting for more than just teachers.  We are fighting for state workers, state troopers, and service personnel just to name a few.

Why is this strike important to you?

Some teachers go across state lines to teach in order to make more money and to have better health care coverage. However, many stay in West Virginia because we love our schools and our students. We do what we do for the love of the job and students, not for the money or the benefits. If that were the case, you wouldn’t have any teachers in West Virginia. Something needed to be done. A raise should be just that – a raise.  We would be losing money because of the health care costs. We are just asking to find ways to fund PEIA. We are helping all state employees.  We are the voice that can be heard, due to other state employees not being allowed to voice their opinions.  We are staying united. It is nice to know we have our superintendents on our side.  We truly are blessed for the people we work for. 55 Strong! 

Greetings! My name is Graeson Baker and I am currently a junior PR major here at WVU. For more info about me, feel free to check out my personal website at http://www.graesonbrooke.co.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.