Meet Courtney Hooper, President of Panhellenic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Courtney Hooper is the President of Panhellenic. Read below to see what her plans are for Greek Life in the upcoming year!

Name: Courtney Hooper

Year in School: Junior

Hometown: Wheeling, WV

Major: International Studies and Spanish (Minor in Religion)

Title: Panhellenic President

How did you decide to apply for the Panhellenic President?: “In a way, I sort of graduated to the President position. I served on the Panhellenic Council in 2010 as the Vice President of Judicial Affairs. I absolutely loved being a part of that group. It took my experience in Greek like to a whole new level. So when the year was drawing to a close and the time came for a new Council to be elected, I decided I wasn’t ready to be finished with Panhellenic. There were so many things I wanted to continue to do for the Greeks, so I applied for the Presidency.”

As the president, what do you have to do?: “My basic role is organizing and overseeing the business of the eight sororities we have on campus. I meet with the chapter presidents monthly to see what good has been going on and what we may need to improve on. This meeting is wonderful for the continued development of Greek life. I work with the Council to develop the likes of Greek Week, Homecoming Week, and most importantly Recruitment. I keep contact with organizations who want to promote their events to the Greeks. I work with the University faculty to make sure the Greek community is on the right track, doing as it should be, and to see what more we can do. There are just a lot of little things that coincide with waves of busy times. It’s great fun!”

What are your goals for the remainder of the year and the beginning of next year?: “My overall goal for the end of the year is basically to go out on a high note. We’ve had an excellent semester, so I hope this can be maintained into the summer. With a stellar Greek Week coming up and lots of buzz about recruitment, I don’t think that will be any trouble at all. For the beginning of next year, it’s all about recruitment! I’m shooting for immediate publicity that’s positive and incredibly effective. We will be raising total for the sororities in the fall from 90 to 95 members, which is exceptionally exciting because with only a couple strong recruitments at raised total, WVU will finally be able to begin the process of bringing a new chapter to campus! So the goal for back to school time is all about promoting Greek life and ensuring a very strong fall recruitment.”

What do you like most about your job?: “The aspect that I enjoy most about my job is the opportunity to work with so many amazing people. Often times when involved in Greek life, it’s easy to remain confined to your own sorority. Don’t get me wrong, I’m completely obsessed with my chapter, but it’s being able to branch out and work for the betterment of our community as a whole that’s proven truly rewarding. I have been blessed with such a rich experience in being Greek, so to then be able to engage in the experiences of others as well as bring new girls into it all is just really incredible.”

What are your plans for the future?: “For Greek life, I’m looking to really better the image we have in the eyes of the rest of campus as well as Morgantown community. I’ll be working in the next few weeks and especially in the fall on getting the media involved in our philanthropic efforts, which are unfortunately underrated at this point. An augmentation in philanthropy will be in the works as well, including more collaboration with IFC and inclusion of non-Greeks. Then as far as my own future is concerned, I’ll be graduating a semester later and (hopefully!) on my way to law school for the following fall semester! I’m in the process now of studying for the LSAT and looking at schools. Exciting would be an understatement.”

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.