Career

Meet Cassandra Stewart, Creator of Talk Beyond the Hanger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. Introduce yourself!

I am Cassandra Stewart from Nitro, West Virginia. Currently, I am a freshman majoring in fashion, dress and merchandising with a double-emphasis in design and merchandising. Along with that, I am pursuing three minors: entrepreneurial studies, public relations and strategic social media.

2.Why fashion, dress and merchandising?

I have always dreamed of being a fashion designer/entrepreneur since I was a little girl. My grandma taught me how to sew at a young age, mainly helping with her quilts. Fashion has been a big part of my identity over the years, so declaring my major was pretty easy. I have such an interest in public relations, as well as social media. Actually, social media advertising has become a hobby I’m enjoying along with sewing.

3.What is Talk Beyond the Hanger?

Talk Beyond the Hanger is a fashion and lifestyle blog I recently created. I’m still trying to balance my blog schedule with school and activities. The content you will see on Talk Beyond the Hanger will involve sets from Polyvore, exploring the latest trends and how to implement such styles including personal thoughts and advice for the everyday reader. I try to balance my posts, so everyone can find something beneficial or interesting while maintaining to stay true to myself.

4.What is your side hustle?

I tend to keep myself pretty busy. I just started writing for College Fashion as a Looks on Campus Contributor, as well as becoming a Style Guru for College Fashionista. On a side note, I run a mediocre foodsta (food instagram) called @goodeatsbycass

5.What are you involved in at WVU?

Being apart of several organizations at WVU has opened many doors for me. I joined Young Life last semester and currently am in New Leadership Training. Fashion Business Association and DECA was an absolute necessity for my existence here at school. Recently, this semester I have become a Davis College Student Ambassador for Fashion, Dress and Merchandising. I am also a member of National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Phi Sigma Theta and Alpha Lambda Delta.

6.What are your future goals?

I aspire to work in various parts of the fashion industry, whether through design or public relations. My ultimate goal in life is to own my own business, preferably a small boutique.

7.What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I like to assist Project Sleep Foundation in spreading awareness and gaining support for all living with Narcolepsy. Which reminds me, next month is Sleep Awareness Month!

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology.