This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Grocery stores, restaurants, and cafés across the nation have caught on to the market behind the words “gluten free”.

Everyone knows that many, if not most, of the products we see every day are probably not that good for us. Carbs and sugar are rampant among popular products, especially in ones that you wouldn’t think to guess. Taking the time to actually read the nutrition label is a time consuming, but very helpful habit to adopt.

Whether you’re a new mom, fitness guru, or just someone trying something new, you should always take some time to research the products you want to buy before going on an adventure to the grocery store. Trying to live healthier starts with what you eat, so where exactly should you start?

Organic and whole foods are a perfect way to start your new healthy lifestyle… Which sounds easy, but there are probably a few lingering questions that make you hesitant to change everything up.

1. What makes something organic?

2. Why are organic products SO expensive?

3. People have been eating the same thing for years, why are we just now beginning to question it?

These are great questions. And you should always be asking before trying things that involve a lot of time or commitment. So let’s start with the first question.

1. Organic foods are more work than they seem. Organic farmers strive not to use anything harmful like pesticides, genetically modified organisms, synthetic fertilizers, or sewage. Even the meat and eggs that are organic come from animals that aren’t given any growth hormones or antibiotics. In turn, these farms use renewable resources and ensure the quality of the soil for the future. All of the products are examined by the government, as well as the distributors to certify the organic integrity of each product. So not only are you healthier, but so is the Earth! 

Source:   http://www.organic.org/home/faq

2. So why is something better for us more expensive? Well that has to do with how its made. Since organic farms don’t use the artificial chemicals to help things grow bigger and faster, they take a little more time to get to you. This means that demand can not keep up with supply so the cost goes up. Also, since the foods are packed with goodness, it takes some extra care to maintain and harvest. Not to mention, the market for organics in America is still relatively small. However, the market is growing at a pretty quick rate, so as time goes on the prices should start to come down with it.

Source: http://www.fao.org/organicag/oa-faq/oa-faq5/en/

3. So you’ve spent your whole life eating the same thing and well.. you’re fine. So why would you switch everything now? Well the answer is in the science. The FDA and other companies have approved GMOs. However, there has never been a long term study conducted on humans to ensure their safety. Unfortunately, animals HAVE been tested with GMOs and have been linked to causing internal organ damage, slowed brain growth, and the increased risk of cancer in some cases. On the other hand, there have been many studies on pesticides. The results of those studies include anything from headaches, to birth defects, and yet again cancer.

Source: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/organic-foods.htm

Before you take your next shopping trip do a little research for yourself. There are dozens of credible sites that love to educate people on the joys of eating organic. Of course, if you continue to eat your regular diet, your body has acclimated to what you’ve put into it and so will continue to digest it properly until some drastic change is made. Start small and grow from there. Remember that this is a growing market, so we are all learning together.

Finally I must say that since I have switched to an organic diet I feel amazing. I almost never get sick, my skin looks ten times better, and my stomach has stopped feeling a constant ache. Organic living isn’t for everyone, but it is definitely worth giving a try!  

Just a Freshman trying to survive
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!