This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Juwan Staten, this week’s campus celebrity!

Juwan is a starting senior WVU basketball player from Dayton, Ohio. He was named ESPN Big 12 player of the week after a spinning game winning layup with 3.9 seconds left as the Mountaineers upset Kansas in Morgantown. The students stormed the court and swarmed Staten for leading his team to such a thrilling victory. Watch Staten #3, as he finishes his senior season in hopes of succeeding in the NCAA tournament.

Q: How long have you played basketball?

A: I’ve been playing since I was 3. My dad was a high school coach so I was basically born in the gym.

Q: What made you want to play for WVU?

A: I transferred from the University of Dayton so I was looking for a school close to home, with a good coach that was also in a good conference.

Q: What’s the highlight of your athletic career thus far?

A: Playing at Madison Square Garden and the scoring the game winner against Kansas.

Q: How did you feel after making the game winning basket and having the students rush the court?

A: Hitting the shot was a good feeling but seeing how involved our fans and the student section were during and after the game was the best part. It felt good to see their appreciation by them rushing the court to celebrate with us.

Q: What is your favorite memory with WVU basketball?

A: When we won the Puerto Rico Invitational

Q: How do you spend your off season?

A: Taking some time off and have fun so that I start to miss basketball again then start working out regularly.

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

A: I graduated last year. After the season, I want to peruse a professional career.

Q: What does being a Mountaineer mean to you?

A: Being a Mountaineer means a lot to me. This university and this state welcomed me with open arms and have made my experience here one to remember. WVU will always hold a special place in my heart.