woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

Inspiring Quotes to get you Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Whether you are about to graduate or are just finishing your first year at West Virginia University, you are probably dreading these next two weeks. Summer is just around the corner and finals season can be exhausting and never-ending. Here are five quotes from a few of today’s powerful women to inspire you to buckle down and make it through these last two weeks.

1. “A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That’s why they don’t get what they want.”  – Madonna

2. “In today’s world, you have to interact. You can’t be some difficult shy person who is not able to look somebody in the face; you have to present yourself. You have to know how to talk about your vision, your focus and what you believe in.” –Anna Wintour, Editor-In- Chief of American Vogue

3. “If you’re frustrated because you’re not getting what you want, stop for a second: have you actually flat-out asked for it? If you haven’t, stop complaining. You can’t expect the world to read your mind. You have to put it out there, and sometimes putting it out there is as simple as just saying, ‘hey, can I have that?” –Sophia Amoruso, founder of Nasty Gal and Author of #GIRLBOSS

4. “For a woman to have credibility, they have to work three times more than a man. I sit on the board of directors, I’m the only woman and I dress some of the most powerful women in the world. So, I think I’m a feminist. I show to women, you can do it.” –Dontella Versace, fashion designer

5. “We may live in an age of instant messaging, instant gratification and Instagram, but there is no way to short-circuit success. It takes hard work, tenacity and patience. If it doesn’t scare you, you’re probably not dreaming big enough.” –Tory Burch, fashion designer

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.