The Inevitable Identity Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

“Oh yeah, she’s a total prep.”

“Ugh, she’s is so cute and hipster.”

“She has got to be the only person on the planet who could pull that off.”

I’m sure these are words that have escaped your lips at one point or another. But what do they all have in common?

All of those phrases are attached to someone’s identity. Not just a name, or a face. But rather, who that person has argued to society to be known as. For some people there is no real argument at all, they are who they are and that’s just it. Although others (most in fact) spend years developing the exact aesthetic they want to appear in someone’s head when their name is mentioned.

At first glance the theory of identity seems trivial, and almost arrogant. Although there really is so much more to it than that. Someone’s identity is not only a way for people to view themselves, but an outlet to express to others what sort of life they want to live. Preppy, hipster, gothic, vintage, grunge… all of these are just identities at face value. When you take the time to really analyze a person and what their chosen identity is, you will probably have a hard time pinning them down under one specific key word.

What’s even more important than noticing other’s argued identities is creating your own. A personal look and style is like an everlasting project. We spend our whole lives evolving into our next (not always better) self. But do you remember when no one knew, or really cared about who you argued to be? These times are important, and self love should always be a priority. But what happens when you don’t really know who the next “you” is going to be? This is what we affectionately refer to as an identity crisis.

Think about the most awkward times you’ve been through. Middle school, freshman year, the beginning of college. Do you remember how out of place you felt? Maybe you went through a phase (or three) that you like to pretend never happened, but how did you feel after that was all over? The process of changing into a new person, or maybe just a different version of the current one, is one of the best feelings that we get the privilege to experience.

As a freshman, I can proudly say that I am happy to have undergone my transformation into this year. While yes, long, grueling, and at times miserable, I would not change a thing. You see, finding your place in a new location is as simple or as hard as you would like it to be. You just have to find your niche, and some friends to help you with it. Of course I know that this is easier said than done. And there is absolutely no shame in taking longer, shorter, or a harder road to get to the new you. You don’t get to choose what happens to you, but you do get to choose how you let it mold you.

Take this time to be bold, accepting, and curious. Try new things. Have bad days. Make stupid decisions. Life is a game of trial and error and sometimes your identity just has to fall victim to that. As long as you are willing to grow, you will get the opportunity to nurture yourself into whatever “you” takes shape in the future. Don’t force anything, just be who you are right this second, and time will do the rest. 

Just a Freshman trying to survive
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!