samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I’m Graduating….Then What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Graduation is right around the corner and while we are busy preparing for it with things like getting graduation pictures taken and purchasing our cap and gowns (which I still need to do) we need to start preparing ourselves for life after college… gasp! Yes it really is true. All of the wild and wonderful years have flown by and it is time for us to say goodbye to WVU and this chapter of our life and actually get out into the real world.

Some of us may be lucky enough to already have a job lined up after graduation and others are still on the hunt for the perfect job. Whatever your plans may be here are a couple of tips to help you ease out of your Morgantown routine and into the real world.

#1 Take time off:

I’m not talking about going on a crazy backpacking adventure through South America or anything, although if you have money to do that than by all means go for it!(and take me with you) You have just spent the last four or five years of your life working nonstop. Whether that be last minute studying, group projects, countless hours at the library, you deserve some YOU time. Plan a small road trip with a couple friends, do something you have never done before. Now is the time to do those things. Having a job lined up right after college is great, don’t get me wrong, but you will be going from a full time student to a full time employee. You have the rest of your life to work. Take a break. And while you do…

#2 Start a blog:

It’s a lot easier than it sounds. Find something that you are truly passionate about. It can be travel, beauty, sports or food and start writing down ideas of blog posts. Posts do not have to be some long essay but little snippets into your life. If you go on vacation or do a little traveling blog about your experiences. Not so much into writing? Read a blog. There are so many bloggers out there that you are sure to find one that sparks your interest. This will keep your creative juices flowing throughout your downtime and also put you ahead of the game in a lot of job markets. Which leads into…

#3 Making yourself an asset:

Employers love when applicants have experience in commanding an audience. This is why social media has become a major role in the deciding factor between applicants. Having a strong social media presence and following will help make you stand out among the rest. Most likely you are already on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. Whether you have a following because you talk about political topics or you’re witty, employers will applaud you for that success. Maybe you have an internship already lined up and that is a great way to make yourself an asset to that company. Work hard and ask questions (the right questions) to make sure that you have the best possible chance at securing a job after. You have to make it so that that company cannot function without you. And one of the best ways to make yourself an asset…

#4 Have a banging LinkedIn Account:

LinkedIn is so crucial for job recruiters in today’s society. Keeping your information up to date and to continue building connections is the best way to get your dream job. Your account information is not like any other social media account. Spend some thought and time into making your account so that you have the best possible chance at getting noticed. Another tip is to follow influencers and get engaged in conversations. Even if you aren’t posting some revelation on someone’s post simple feedback and acknowledgment of reading their post can go a long way. And the most obvious to making connections on LinkedIn is to use the message feature. It is far less intimidating and can lead to other potential connections. You may message an employer and find that it isn’t the fit for you but they may be able to connect you with other employers that could potentially be a better fit.

#5 Applying for jobs:

This is an obvious part of life after graduation. Soon the student loans will kick in and bills will be piling up faster than you know what to do with them. One of the biggest tips I can give is to apply for jobs at the right time. Yes, there is a right and wrong time to apply for jobs. Right after college…not the best time. Why? Because every other graduate will be applying for jobs at the same time and your chances of landing that job will get lost in the pile. Now, depending on what market you are applying for this may differ but my suggestion is to wait until it dies down. The best time to apply for jobs is going to be right around August. By then all of the post-grad applicants will have dwindled out and your chances are much higher.

So now it’s time to pull up those big girl panties and start the next chapter of your life! And may you remember all of the things WVU has taught you!