Career

ICYMI: Sex and the City Star Announces Run for Governor of New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Yes, you read that correctly. Known for her role as Miranda on Sex and the City, actress and activist Cynthia Nixon announced on Twitter she is running for governor of New York on Monday, March 16, releasing her first campaign ad alongside the announcement.

“Something has to change,” she says in the campaign video where she is filmed in various places throughout New York City. “We want our government to work again, on healthcare, ending mass incarceration, fixing our broken subway. We are sick of politicians who care more about headlines and power than they do about us. It can’t just be business as usual anymore.”

Claiming she rides the subway every day, Nixon is one of the first politicians to run on a subway-focused platform. Her campaign site says, “the subway is the lifeblood of our city. If the subway dies, so does the city of New York.” She also claims on her website that she is running for governor because she loves New York. “We need a New York that works for all of us—a New York for the many, not just a few,” the website says.

Lifelong New Yorker, Nixon has been an outspoken member of the LGBT community. In 2012, Nixon married her wife Christine Marinoni. She has transitioned from acting in recent years to political activism and advocating for sexual harassment victims, starring in the short film series #ThatsHarassment launched by David Schwimmer last April.

Nixon will be running against incumbent Democratic governor Andrew Cuomo. Many of her co-stars have spoken in support of Nixon. Kristin Davis, who played Charlotte in the popular series, was the first cast member to voice her support for Nixon. “I am so proud of @CynthiaNixon, no one cares more than she does about EVERY person getting a fair chance and a good education,” she said in a tweet. “I know that she would be an excellent governor!”

Are you team Miranda? Tweet us @HerCampusWVU and let us know!

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.