How to have Healthy Skin in the Summertime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Who doesn’t love to soak up the sun in the summertime? Although we all love that bronzed skin look, too much sun can be a bad thing. Whether it be lying on the beach or lying in a tanning bed, we are damaging our skin. And most, if not all of us, don’t properly protect ourselves from those scary UV rays. Even if we do try protecting our skin, it’s not always in the best way. So here are some tips to keep your skin bright and smooth in those summer months.

1. Stay out of the sun.

This is probably the easiest way to prevent those dark marks and fine lines from forming a little quicker than we’d like. Wearing clothing that covers you and putting a hat on is the only way to completely protect yourself. But obviously, that’s not the most appealing.

2. Sunscreen.

AN ABSOLUTE MUST. Sunscreen should be the first thing you put on in the morning after you wash your face. Just about every brand of makeup makes an SPF foundation or moisturizer. It should contain SPF 15 or higher.

3. If nothing else, moisturize.

Keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Invest in a good moisturizer and save yourself from drying out as quickly.

4. Water, water, and MORE WATER.

Another way to keep your skin and whole body hydrated is to drink lots and lots of water. It’s recommended you drink 64 ounces a day to keep your body functioning properly. Make your skin look healthy by keeping your body healthy.

5. Stop smoking.

It depletes your skin and doesn’t allow for vital nutrients and oxygen to get where it needs to go. Not only will it increase your risk of sun damage but it already speeds up the process of aging. That means: more wrinkles, faster.