How to Eat Healthy at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As freshman move into the dorms and sophomores move into their new apartments, eating right can be a challenge. For freshman, it’s the first time you’ll be away from your parents and everything is on you. Dinner isn’t at 6 p.m. sharp anymore; it’s whenever you get yourself to the dining hall to eat before it closes or in between classes. And for those living in apartments temptation for fast food still happens when you don’t feel like cooking. Yes, we all have that can of condensed soup and ramen noodles, but you don’t want to be the person who lives off them. So here are some tips for eating right while at school.

1) Fresh is best: The dining halls offer healthy choices every day. Skip the fried and processed foods and go for the fresh stuff. Load up your plate with proteins, fruits and vegetables because that’s what your body craves and what keeps it going.
2) It’s all about the portions: Make sure you know when to stop. Just because the food is all you can eat doesn’t mean you have to. It’s ok to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but don’t go overboard with carbs. They are good to eat but in moderation and when you have the choice try eating whole grain or wheat.
3) Read the label: just because something looks healthy doesn’t mean it is. Labels and packaging can be deceiving. Things to watch out for are sodium and sugar. Having a lot of sodium can lead to bloating due to water retention which no one wants, especially if you just got a new cute top that is form fitting, and too much sugar in your diet can cause weight gain.

Some snacks that are always good to have on hand:
-Silk soy milk (you can get them from the dining hall, I do)
-Frozen berries with no added sugar
-Protein Bars
-All natural fruit strips
-Peanut butter with celery or apples

Tori is a senior at West Virginia University. She majors in Advertising and aspires to work in a big advertising agency after graduation. Tori was both Social Chair and Public Relations Chair for her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma. She enjoys being involved in different organizations at WVU. Originally from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Tori was born and raised a Mountaineer. She loves to hang out with friends and be social. Tori would describe herself as outgoing, passionate, and motivated.