How to Create a Portfolio and Why You Should

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

We have all seen art and journalism majors creating portfolios for interviews, but have you ever considered that other majors may find this useful as well? Making a portfolio is very easy and increases your chances of being hired. Take a look at these simple steps for creating one.

1. Create a Cover Page

Creating a cover page is essential for any portfolio. This should include your name and the date of the interview. Use this as an opportunity to play around with templates on Word or Google Docs and create a unique page.

2. Make a Table of Contents

This should just be a basic table of contents, listing what you have chosen to include in your portfolio and what order the pieces are in. Make sure to format this so that the page is mostly filled; this may mean having to play around with fonts and sizes.

3. Add your Resume

Even though your potential employer has likely already seen your resume, take the time to include it in your portfolio. This way, you can reference previous experiences you’ve had and then elaborate on them in the interview. Make sure to polish your resume before including it.

4. Include Samples of Your Work

Every area of study has different projects. Be sure to include any final projects, writing samples, transcripts, art or graphic design samples that you may have from previous jobs or coursework. This is the place where you set yourself apart from other applicants, so take your time on it. Have a professor or relative review your work to make sure it is all relevant to the job you are applying for. You may wish to include small blurbs stating what each sample is from; you can do this on the reverse side of your sample or in the Table of Contents.

5. Also Include Any Ideas You Have

Lastly, include any ideas you may have for the company and position you are applying for. This shows that you have initiative and creativity, two highly valued qualities. Your ideas don’t have to be very fleshed out; they may not even be used. However, it is important to show that you truly care about the position and have spent time preparing for it.

You may choose to do your portfolio online instead. If so, you can use free websites like WordPress to upload all of your samples. This option may be better for individuals whose job may include a great deal of computer skills. Whatever version you decide to do, be creative and let your personality shine through. Enjoy portfolio making and good luck!

I am a sophomore at West Virginia University. I am majoring in English and History, with hopes of becoming a professor or a lawyer. On campus I am a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, the Honors College, and of course Her Campus! In my free time, I can be found cooking, reading, and playing with my guinea pigs.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!