Homecoming Queen Candidate Deonna Gandy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Meet Deonna Gandy from Pittsburgh, PA. Deonna graduated from Hills Senior High School, and decided to come to WVU, because she really enjoyed the campus tour, and meeting some of the students on campus. She really appreciated the pride everyone had toward this university, which was a bit different from her high school. Deonna enjoys doing yoga, anything artistic, and helping others in need when available. She decided not to get involved in Greek Life her freshman year, because she realized at an early stage in her college career that she was too much of an independent to commit to something like that. She describes herself as a very sporadic person, and really enjoys wearing the letters D.A.G. (Her initials.) She came to WVU not knowing at all where exactly she would fit in, and what she wanted to do in life. However, she was able to figure out where she fit in, and that was serving as President of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, the Residence Hall Association, and PINK @ WVU, which she also founded. She has served as a Campus Rep for Victoria Secret for two years, and also represented the Amazon brand as well on campus. She realized that her place on campus to “fit in”, was by being a student leader and a positive representation and role model for her peers. Deonna was able to showcase this role, through her work with the initiation of the #RespectfulMountaineer campaign last fall. 

Q: What made you want to run for Homecoming King or Queen?

Honestly, the people around me who have worked with me through my student organizations, and service projects on campus. When you have so many positive people around you, rooting for you to succeed, the only thing you can do is fulfill it. I’m a very humble person, and I do not do things to be recognized, so it was a bit hard for me to jump on board and apply. However, I did, and well look at me now! 

Q: Why do you think you would be a good King or Queen and why do you deserve this title?

Honestly, because I believe I represent WVU in a unique way that it deserves to be showcased. People commonly misperceive WVU all the time, and it upsets me, because I know in my heart I am so proud to be a Mountaineer. People take the negatives of WVU, and put them on the forefront. However, I am living proof, that WVU truly is living up to it’s mission. For me, it’s more than a title, and it’s amazing because I was able to really embrace that during my interview to be on court. I’ve worked extremely hard during my time at WVU, and it has not just been for myself, or a specific group of people, it’s been for ALL my peers, alumni, and for the Mountaineers of the future!

Q: What does WVU mean to you?

WVU means unity in the Morgantown community to me. What I mean by that is, this University does so much for the Morgantown community, the state, and its students. That unity is truly unbeatable, and no matter how much people try to destroy our university’s reputation, you’ll never be able to destroy the strength within. What Mountaineer Nation truly represents!

Q: What would it mean to you if you were named the 2015 Homecoming King or Queen?

It would mean “I Was Here”. I’d advise anyone who would like a further understanding of that statement to listen to Beyoncé’s song “I Was Here”, from her album “4”. The song is so powerful, and every time I hear it, I think of my journey at WVU. 

Q: What are your connections to the state of West Virginia?

This is a great question, because I’ve never had any connections to the State of West Virginia. It was actually pretty interesting when I made my final decision to come here, because I had never been before. However, now I can say I look forward to beating PITT in the near future, when we begin the back yard brawl again! 

Q: If you had one message for the students of WVU, what would that message be?

To my peers at WVU, please know, you are NEVER alone. I came to WVU alone (literally had a single room my freshmen year), but I am living proof, that at WVU there are MULTIPLE places for YOU! If you feel alone, always know you have your fellow Mountaineer Deonna Gandy to support and help in anyway I can! (I genuinely mean that, look me up on the directory if you need me!)

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.