Homecoming Queen Candidate Blaire Rigney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Blaire Rigney is a double major in animal and nutritional science and pre-occupational therapy from Charleston, WV and attended George Washington High School. She is the Vice President of her sorority, Chi Omega and is a member of the Mountaineer Maniacs. Blaire is also involved with the School of Agriculture, fishing club, and she is a volunteer at On Eagles’ Wings Therapeutic Horsemanship Center in Fairmont. Blaire also has two sisters named Lia and Madison.

Q: What made you want to run for Homecoming King or Queen?

I decided to submit an application for Homecoming Queen because I was nominated by my sorority and I thought it would be an amazing opportunity.

Q: Why do you think you would be a good King or Queen and why do you deserve this title?

I think that I would be a good Homecoming Queen because I feel that I have been involved with as much as I can be while at WVU whether it be clubs, community service, or holding a position in my sorority. I was born and raised in WV and I plan to attend grad school here and live here for the rest of my life. I just love West Virginia and it would be such an honor to be the Homecoming Queen of WVU.

Q: What does WVU mean to you?

Ever since I was little I knew that I wanted to attend WVU. My dad always joked around and said that I didn’t have any other option, even though I did, and being a Mountaineer meant so much to my family and I. Without going to WVU I never would have been exposed to all of the leadership, academic, and community service opportunities that I have been involved with. I love this school with all of my heart and I never want to leave!

Q: What would it mean to you if you were named the 2015 Homecoming King or Queen?

I want to be Homecoming Queen not only because it’s such an honor to my school but also for my family. I absolutely cannot wait to walk on the field with my parents and I cannot think of a greater honor than becoming Homecoming Queen of this amazing university

Q: If you had one message for the students of WVU, what would that message be?

If I had one message to give to students it would be to never ever hesitate to be involved. It’s a little intimidating at first being a freshman but once you make that initial jump the opportunities are endless. I have been exposed to so many different opportunities because this school is so great and I wish I had four more years of undergrad to experience so many more.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.