Gift Season is Approaching: How to Prepare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The holidays might be the most wonderful time of the year, but what happens when you’ve been buying the same people practically the same gifts for years, your office decides to have a “Secret Santa” exchange, or you simply have the budget of a 10 year old? Not so wonderful. Follow these tips to keep the holidays from breaking the bank, and disappointing gifts from breaking your loved one’s spirits.

1. Set a budget and start working towards it.

Thanksgiving is for giving, but it also means the threshold of holiday music, decorations and advertisements is shattered. Decide how much you’re spending on each person in your life, and figure out a way to keep that money safe from– well– yourself.

2. Pay attention to sales.

Almost all stores participate in Black Friday deals, but often enough those deals, and similar ones, aren’t restricted just to one day. Check into malls over the weekend to avoid the lines on Nov. 24, or take advantage of Cyber Monday straight from your cozy bed, pajamas, and coffee (or desk).

3. Ask your friends and family what they want.

They could have no idea what to ask you to buy them, or they find it’s an awkward conversation to have, but there’s no harm in trying. Best case scenario, they tell you exactly what they want and you’re not wasting time trying to mind read. And you’re not wasting money on something that will sit in the back of their closet until they can re-gift it.

4. Get crafty.

Homemade gifts can be a lot more meaningful and a lot less expensive. Search Pinterest to see what suggestions you may find, and then find the materials at a discount store or a local craft shop.

5. Think outside of the box.

A gift doesn’t have to be something physical. Look into concerts, events, art shows, a spa certificate, gift cards for something specific, etc.

6. Keep the holiday spirit in mind.

You’re not just spending time with family and friends to spend your money and to take theirs, so when shopping, think of your relationships on a deeper level. Don’t let gift-giving overshadow being in the moment with your loved ones.

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.