Four Unique Ways To Style Denim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Day – On Top

When most people hear “denim”, they automatically think jeans, but denim button-downs are ideal for layering. Because they are so versatile, they add a quirky touch to any look, while adding a little extra warmth during the winter months.

Chambray Shirt, $55, Madewell

Night – With Stockings

Every girl has a beloved pair of ripped jeans that make her long for sunny days; the good news is that she does not have to wait for the first signs of spring to wear them. With the stockings of her choice showing through the tears, ripped jeans go from down the shore to downtown. Compliment the grunge style with a structured jacket and sturdy boots. 

Sheer pantyhose, $20, American Apparel 

Day – With (Faux) Fur

Spruce up an old pair of jeans (or denim shorts as weather gets warmer) with a feminine faux fur piece. To keep the look casual for class, running errands, or meeting up with friends, choose light wash denim with a loose fit, and pair it with a worn-in t-shirt and rugged leather accessories.

Faux Fur Vest, $43, GUESS? 

Night – As A One Piece

Overalls are all the rave, and give off a devil-may-care vibe when worn at night. Layer a cropped top or a baby tee underneath to a) play up the 1990s look and b) bring some cheekiness to the playful piece. Messy, boho-chic hair and make-up make overalls modern and fit for a 20-something. 

Overalls, $69.95, Free People

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion.