Five Exciting Ideas for Graduating Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

West Virginia University has been my home for the past four years. Friends become family, professors become guardians and classrooms become life long lessons.

Students attend college with the understanding of eventually leaving with a degree, but when the timing comes it is terrifying. The intimidating ‘real’ world awaits the fresh meat and graduates are the main entrée.

How can graduates actually succeed, especially in today’s challenging society?

No one wants to fail. So, here is my advice for graduating seniors: enjoy your last month of college while you still can!

There are a numerous amount of activities that should be completed before leaving one of the greatest universities in the country.

First, all students need to experience West Virginias beauty. The natural beauty in Morgantown will surprise most people. One essential location that everyone should visit is called Blue Hole. The gorgeous waterfalls glisten as they splash against the rock walls, making a perfect area for a friendly hangout. There are plenty of places to lounge, hick, take pictures or even party.

Second, WVU is known for the mouth-watering restaurants. One establishment, Are U Hungry, now called Sandwich U, is so popular that it was even mentioned on ‘Good Morning America’. It is located on Walnut Street, a 5-minute walk from the downtown campus. They have several famous items on their menu. One particular selection is called a Fat B****. It may not be the healthiest choice, but it sure is good.

Third, Morgantown has plenty of entertaining historical places. History is an exciting subject for several and I condone a personal interest in that area, but when I speak of history I am referring to Mario’s Fish Bowl. This small establishment draws in a crowd of customers every day. The welcoming staff, delicious greasy food, restaurant layout and wall decorations are so different from any other place in town, but the giant fish bowl’s of draft beer are what keeps the customers coming.

Forth, I recommend a little taste of Greek life. WVU, along with a ton of other schools, are filled with students that join a sorority or a fraternity. If you are not a part of a Greek family already, then I suggest giving it a chance. One way to do this is to attend a social mixer. Mixers are incredibly fun, especially when a theme is suggested. For example, Jungle Juice Fever night requires all guests to dress in animal print. Themed nights grant amazing photo opportunities, and college memories can last forever in a picture.

Fifth, attending a Mountaineer sport event is essential. WVU has the most loyal fans and can always use one more ‘blue and gold’ person in the crowd. There is nothing more hyped than standing in a loud crowd of students and yelling ‘Let’s go Mountaineers!”

These five recommendations are great ways to cherish your final moments as a graduating senior. Take advantage of the time left and spend it with the friends that have become family.

Rachel is a junior at West Virginia University and a direct-admit to the P.I. Reed School of Journalism, majoring in public relations with a minor in dance. She is the treasurer of the WVU chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and a member of the WVU Dance Ensemble. Rachel is currently an intern with the Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce, where she single-handedly designs, writes and edits the monthly newsletter. She also works part-time at Guess. Writing, dancing and fashion are all passions of Rachel’s. In her free time, she enjoys getting coffee, shopping (especially for high heels and dresses), tanning, sushi, reading, listening to music and being a closet movie buff. Rachel’s hometown is Pittsburgh, PA, where she hopes to return to live and work someday at a public relations agency.