This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Coffee. Coffee is always the answer.

The second half of the semester is NEVER easy. The excitement of seeing your friends after a long summer is gone and your ability to look even moderately cute has gone out the window. But you know what? You can get it back.

First of all, you have to stop staying up until 1 a.m. to study. Seriously, that’s not helping anyone. Instead, look at your notes directly after class and review them before you go to bed each night. (P.S. There’s actually science behind that.)

Next, you need to start exercising. That’s right. Get your butt moving. If you don’t have a way to expend an appropriate amount of energy you’re going to start feeling like a hamster without a wheel. It’s very important for your mental and physical health to stay in shape. If you feel good about yourself, that’s one less thing to worry about.

Turn it off, turn it down, turn it loose. What? Turn OFF your phone. I don’t know about you, but my biggest distraction and obstacle when studying is that overwhelming need to see if anyone has replied to my tweet or liked my last photo. Turn down your music, it’s great to study with music but you need to make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting you while you’re trying to memorize things. Finally, turn it loose. Let go of that stress you’re carrying, you DON’T have to be perfect. Do well because you can, and you want to. But don’t sweat it if you get a B or a C instead of an A every now and then.

Take breaks! No not snack breaks.. well maybe snack breaks. But seriously, take a break when you’re studying. Locking yourself in your room is all fine and well, and may even be beneficial for you. But make sure every 20 to 30 minutes you’re taking breaks to let your mind rest and process the information you’re shoving into it.

My last bit of advice is simple, but so very helpful. Make. A. List. Make lists everywhere. On your phone, computer, wall, tablet. I don’t care. But make sure you’re writing down your assignments and responsibilities. You have A LOT going on. So don’t try to remember it all without some help. Make to-do lists and then find satisfaction in checking off those boxes.

You’ve got this.

Just a Freshman trying to survive
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.