This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, fashion is a foreign concept. I would happily head Downtown in sweatpants and a extra large t-shirt, but instead I steal my roommates clothes and hope I don’t look like a hot mess. Throughout college, I’ve learned a thing or two about fashion to get me by and trick people into thinking I have some sense of style. In reality, it’s all about trying new things.

1. Leggings are your best friend – Trust me, it’s hard to throw your sweats aside for a pair of leggings, but it’s all worth it. Rather than grabbing your favorite large shirt to throw on with them, try out something new. Grab yourself a comfortable flannel and some boots, or even a cute cardigan to spice up the leggings. It’s the perfect way to stay comfortable while looking good.

2. Test out colors – We all have that one color we always turn to, whether it’s our favorite color or something we know suits our looks. However, experiment a bit. Throw the black shit back in your closet and pull out a vibrant red. Switch your favorite blue out for a light pink. Whatever it is, try out colors you wouldn’t normally wear and see how you feel throughout the day. Adding variety to your fashion choice makes a statement.

3. Be adventurous – Don’t let yourself get caught in the same routine. Ignore the college tee and leggings that urge you to continue your fashion habits, and try something completely out of the blue. Perhaps that aunt bought you an a-line skirt for Christmas – try it out. Play around with the clothes you have in your closet and find a new look, something that you wouldn’t typically wear. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up loving it more than you think.

4. Be yourself – What you wear has a language of it’s own. It tells people what your personality is like. Embrace this and show the world who you are through your clothes. If you want to experiment but know those heels are definitely not something you would ever wear, don’t even try it. Grab the flats that are much more your style and proudly wear them. You want to express yourself, not try to be someone else.

5. Your friends are your savior – Have some money saved after the holiday season? Grab some friends and head to the mall! They may have a much different taste then you, but perhaps they’ll find something that you would typically ignore and ends up becoming your favorite shirt. Listen to their advice and even try on that horrible dress your friend pulls out. It doesn’t mean you have to buy it, just use it to help decide what looks good on you and what doesn’t.

A junior at West Virginia University, Erin is majoring in Journalism (emphasis on Print) and working to achieve a minor in Creative Writing. Erin is currently the president of the Alpha Pi chapter of the national service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha, and is a member of the Alpha Pledge class. She plans to pursue a career in journalism and focus on arts & entertainment.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!