element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Facebook Official(ly) Ruined Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Do you remember waiting by the phone for my middle school boyfriend to call? A few years later came texting (from your pink razor) and you made sure to use plenty of keyboard hearts and smiley faces. It was truly was a struggle back in the olden days (because we are all so incredibly old), but in a way I miss the innocence of it all. For those of you who were smart enough to remain single during these awkward stages, you didn’t have to see all the cute couple pictures everywhere you look. Back then, the only way someone knew your relationship status was if you put “taken and in love with [insert insignificant name]” or “single, but looking ;)” on your Myspace profile. And then came social media…

We all have to admit that most of us are obsessed with it and honestly could never fathom how we lived without it before. But since social media has become a part of our everyday lives, it really has changed the way relationships work. Now a days, social media has become the place that defines how well someone’s relationship is going. It lets everyone you have ever let follow you see a timeline of your relationship and there is honestly no privacy. Anyone can see if your boyfriend favorited a girls’ tweet, commented on her Instagram picture, or added his ex-girlfriend on Facebook. And don’t forget about the dreaded FBO (Facebook official). Don’t get me wrong, it is just as hard being single in a world of “Relationship Goals” and Twitter account after Twitter account of “Perfect Couples” and “How You Know He’s a Keeper” it’s like WE GET IT, you and your man are “so happy” and you “can’t live without him”.

We are living in stressful a time ladies, we know this. But it doesn’t mean we have to continue flaunting how taken we are, complaining how single we are, and stalking cute couples, ugly couples, weird couples, or chill couples. Wait, I take that back, stalking people on Instagram is one of my favorite past times, but don’t do if it just makes you want to vomit.

Here is a suggestion, Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and I’m sure we are all looking forward to the timeline of adorable collages (or God forbid those stupid picture videos set to music) of the “perfect” couples, the posts saying “Valentine’s Day is just another day for me” even though we all know you’re dying inside, and we are all going to roll our eyes at how annoying all of this really is. So then let’s not do it. If Valentine’s Day is the day to appreciate your loved one, appreciate it together and not with your hundreds of followers. If you’re single, take this day to get really close and personal with a bottle of wine and tell your mother how much she means to you. Let’s not allow social media define our relationships. Personally, I wouldn’t mind waiting by the phone.