jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Essentials of Taking Care of Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s so hard to remember to take time for yourself, especially at the beginning of a new semester. Classes are starting to build up, the homework starts piling on, exams are rolling in all too quick, and all of a sudden you can’t remember if it’s Monday or Friday. Don’t worry, we’ve all been there too. Here are some tips to de-stress and to take care of yourself this semester!

1. Get some sleep! 

It’s hard to get a decent amount of sleep in college. Sometimes its all too tempting to stay up and watch a good show on Netflix or even cram some last minute homework in. But getting a good night’s sleep is always worth it in the end. 

2. Take a break! 

Sometimes it’s easy to get swallowed in the stress of homework or life. When it all becomes too much, take a breath and walk away from it for a little while. Go grab something to eat or take a nap, whatever gets you away from the stress for a little bit. 

3. Have some fun! 

It’s important to remember that school can still be fun. So no matter how much homework you have, still squeeze in time with friends or go do something you enjoy doing!

4. Be ahead of the game 

A way to stay on top of things and not pile on the stress is to get things done ahead of time. If you do this, slowly but surely your work load will get smaller and you can have some free time!

5. Remember to take one day at a time 

Remember to take it day by day. Don’t stress about what’s to come in the future. Focus on each daily battle and conquer it to the best of your abilities! YOU CAN DO IT!

I'm a freshman attending West Virginia University. I'm majoring in elementary education with a specialization in English. I'm so excited to see where my journey as a mountaineer takes me!
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!