This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Elizabeth Sabatino is Miss Teen West Virginia USA 2012 and the runner up for Miss Teen USA 2012. The Morgantown native is a sophomore broadcast journalism major and a sister of Alpha Phi. 

On how she became involved in pageants:

“Miss Teen West Virginia was actually the first pageant I participated in. I was doing it because I had just quit cross-country and I wanted something else to do. I trained for 6 weeks with interview prep and nutrition prep and then I competed and ended up winning that. Then, I competed in Teen USA against 51 other women, including Puerto Rico and ended up coming in second, which was honorable but Connecticut won.” 

On her pageant experience:

“It was really nice because I got to meet a ton of girls and the sisterhood I felt through that made me want to join a sorority and rush Alpha Phi. A lot of the aspects of being in pageants are similar to being in a sorority. It’s about women empowering women.” 

On WVU:

“I went to Morgantown High and I wasn’t sure I wanted to go to WVU at first but I ended up absolutely loving it. I’ve had a great college experience so far and I look forward to the future” 

On her future career: 

“I am a broadcast journalism major with a minor in sports communication. I want to be like Erin Andrews and maybe be on Fox Sports or ESPN one day. I love watching Sports Center.”

On hobbies: 

“One thing I love about the Miss USA system, and now being in a sorority is the opportunity to do community service events. When I was West Virginia Teen, I got to volunteer a lot at WVU’s Children’s hospital and with Alpha Phi now we do a lot to raise money and awareness for women’s cardiac care, which is near and dear to my heart.” 

“I love to work out, Lifting, Pilates, cardio… a mix of all three. I’m really into nutrition and how whole foods affect your body.”