jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dating on a Budget in Morgantown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Dating can be expensive, especially when you are already paying for things like rent or additional bills.  However, you don’t have to blow the bank just to go out on a date.  Here are some ideas for how to date on a budget sorted by price range!

Free

1. Use your meal swipes and get it to go for a picnic

If you don’t have meal swipes or picnic-ing isn’t your cup of tea, you can get your fav foods at the store and make dinner together. *Could cost money if you are buying the food.

2. Go to WVUp All Night for an evening

There are different events every weekend, so you’re bound to find something that both of you love. If you’re not in it for the events, there’s always free food!

3. Farmers Market

Morgantown’s Farmers Market is held every Saturday from 8:30 to noon on Spruce Street. Take your significant other there and see what they have to offer!

4. Lib date

What better way to get good grades while still spending time together?

5. Rail Trail

If you are looking for a little get away from the city rush without getting into a car, then take a walk on the rail trail!  

6. Coopers/Ravens Rock

If transportation is available, Coopers/Ravens Rock is an ideal date. From picnicking to hiking or just simply getting time to unwind and talk, it is bound to be a nature-filled, great time.

7. WVU Core Arboretum

Take a walk through the Arboretum to see the lovely nature, take photos, and maybe even try some pawpaws.  

8. Seneca Center

Located in the downtown area, the Seneca Center is home to many specialty shops. If you are just looking for something to do, take a walk and enjoy what they have to offer! *Could cost money if you want to buy anything at any of the shops.

9. Star show at WVU Tomchin Planetarium & Observatory

This date night will require some planning because you have to schedule the date in advance. The Planetarium sits atop White Hall and takes you out of this world.

10. Start a Piggy Bank!

Each of you throw in loose change or maybe a few dollars every once in awhile and eventually you’ll have enough to splurge on a special date!

11. Work out together

For those of you who like exercising, jump on the PRT and work out together at the Rec, which is free to students.

Less than $20

1. Fast-food (or somewhat fast food) date

With the app Hooked, many of these fast food places will have extremely beneficial discounts. Make sure you check out the app before heading anywhere, each coupon only lasts a few hours!  

2. Movie date

Transportation is needed (or take the bus), however students get discounted tickets when you show your student ID.  

3. Go downtown/out

If you are the adventurous/social couple, High Street may be the place to go. It’s normally $5 a person, but sometimes girls can get in for free. If you’re over 21 then you may even have free cover!

4. Netflix

Netflix is everyone’s favorite past-time, so spend the night watching each other’s favorite shows. Spice it up by creating a fort and hanging up some lights.

5. Pizza & movie

Pizza places do deals all the time, so do some research before ordering. Stop by Walmart and shop their discounted movie bin and you’re good to go!

6. Coffee Date

Take a break from your busy schedules to hang out over coffee and some pastries.

7. Date Jars

For only a couple of dollars and great patience, you can create these wonderful date jars for you and your significant other to use for spontaneous dates.  Morgantown-specific places and eateries (or even Pittsburgh and other surrounding areas) can be used to fill your jars. Be creative! *Most of these will require additional costs and/or transportation; be wary about these factors when making them.

Greater than $20

1. Dinner at a nice-ish place

Places like Cheddar’s, The Boston Beanery, or Olive Garden are good to splurge for special dates.

2. Kennywood Fright Night

Halloween vibes are in the air now that it is October. Luckily, if you have that need for excitement and scary thrill for you and your significant other, look no further than Kennywood. It’s about an hour and a half away from Morgantown, and there’s even student discounts (only $17 per person) on certain nights!

3. WV Zoo

This zoo is located in Kingwood, WV, which is about 30-45 minutes away from Morgantown. It’s $12 per person. Since it’s closed in the winter, you may want to make this a special spring/summer/fall date trip.

Go and save dat money.

Greetings! My name is Graeson Baker and I am currently a junior PR major here at WVU. For more info about me, feel free to check out my personal website at http://www.graesonbrooke.co.
Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!