Damon’s Bar and Grill Plans To Close Without Much Notice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Morgantown, W.Va. has been the home of Derrick Haddix famous rib establishment, Damon’s Bar and Grill, for about five years. One Monday, April 16, however, the restaurant closed.

According to the management staff, Haddix has sold the restaurant to a new business, called Tilted Kilt. The Tilted Kilt is a sports bar venue that originated in Las Vegas, N.V. in 2003. The franchise is recognized in several different big cities, and now Morgantown will get a taste.

“I am going to be sad to see Damon’s go,” said regular customer Mark Lambert. “I have gotten to know the staff pretty well and I guarantee the new food chain won’t compare to Damon’s friendly atmosphere.”

The rib establishment has been hanging by a thread for the last few months, especially after new competition arrived. The newly opened Buffalo Wild Wings crushed Damon’s reputation. They were known for their BBQ style food and large flat screen televisions, until Buffalo Wild Wings moved in and took over with an even better display.
Towne City customers left Damon’s and committed to “B-Dubbs”, leaving Haddix with no choice but to sell.

Damon’s servers, cooks, dishwashers and managers struggled when informed about the closing date. According to a few staff members, they were told less than a week ago about the restaurant going under.
“As upset as I was when I heard the news, I will still leave with friends,” said server and bartender Tabitha Marsh. “I love my Damon’s family and I would not trade anything in the world for them.”

Employers at Damon’s were in tears Saturday evening. They all agreed that they didn’t always consider the restaurant a job. It was more like their home.

“Employees don’t come and go here. We have had several of the same people working for us for years,” said assistant manager Matthew Vogrin. “I am very sad to see everyone go, but all good things have to come to an end.”

Becca is a junior from Collegeville, Pennsylvania. She attends West Virginia University where she is pursing a major in Advertising and minors in Business and Communications. She is involved in the Martin-Hall Agency, which is the advertising club for the University. She is currently interning as an American Eagle Campus Representative for WVU, where she works with two other girls to promote the brand on campus. In her spare time, she loves to shop, read, play field hockey and, of course, eat. Living right outside of Philly her whole life, she can’t resist a good cheesesteak and an awesome Phillies game. She looks forward to graduating college and finding a job working at a large advertising firm in either Pittsburgh or back home in Philly.