This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

When we need advice we usually go to two main people… our friends or family. Typically, no one can give you better advice than you’re very own mother. Thanks to my mom, these are the seven pieces of advice I like to live by:

1. Don’t sweat the small stuff

Sometimes there’s just things that you won’t be able to fix, and that’s okay. Don’t let it hold you back. Brush it off, and just keep going!

2. Always stay positive even if things get tough.

Staying positive through everything will always make the situation a little easier to get through! The more positive you are during your tough times, the more positive others will be towards you!

3. Keep a smile on your face

This is so, so, so important. Even if you aren’t having the best day, keep a smile on your face and pretend you are! Who knows, maybe smiling will even make you forgot you’re having a bad day.

4. Pay it forward

Always try to do one good deed for the day… you never know whose life you could end up saving.

5. Take time to de-stress and relax

We all deserve “me” days. Don’t be afraid to have them more often than not! Treat yourself to some pampering… you’ve worked hard.

6. Take a break from electronics and social media… remember to look up and see the world happening in front of you.

Everyone is so glued to their phone now-a-days (including myself) that we forget to experience the real word. Go a day without your phone and see how much of a different it makes in your day.

7. Be happy

ALWAYS be happy.

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!