Being a Big: A Test Run For Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.
1. Even before you tell her she’s yours you have a whole collection of presents for her. More than likely enough to cover her walls, some clothes, a blanket  or two, and candy. Basically enough to decorate her room and make her more comfortable in the dreaded crummy dorm rooms. 

2. You love to show her off to all your friends.. “Yeah.. I have a little. Actually, I have two. Want to see pictures? You’re in luck! I have like 20 right here!”

3. She texts you for help with every problem, big or small. 

4. She likes to call you mom, especially when you try to give her advice or tell her something she doesn’t want to hear. 

5. And there’s a chance that your boyfriend may inherit the name “dad.”

6. You text her every night so you know she has plans and won’t be sitting home alone.

7. Don’t have someone to eat with? Don’t worry little, biggie’s here to sit you or make you a home cooked meal. 

8. When she doesn’t text you before at least 2 p.m. after a rough night on the town you start texting her a million times to make sure she’s a-okay.

9. You can fully tell what mood she’s in and it starts to rub off on you. 

10. And you make her come over just to lay in bed, eat junk food, and watch movies with you all day. 

11. You learn to strongly dislike anyone who hurts your little’s feeling or vice versa. 

12. She calls you when she needs a ride to any and all places that aren’t right beside her dorm. 

13. You know that no matter where life takes you, she’s your little and you’ll be bonded together forever.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.