Back To School: What Do I Wear?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Menswear-Inspired Shirts & Slacks: Look instantly cooler in the classroom by rocking a borrowed-from-the-boys ensemble. Button-up shirts and tidy shoes are far from stuffy when they are worn with ladylike slip dresses and worn-in t-shirts and cut-off shorts. Boyish trousers become feminine when you wear them with cute camisoles and oversized cardigans—try this look with a flirty pair of pumps or stilettos for your next night out.

Mini Dresses & Skirts: You’ve been loyal to your flowing maxi dresses and skirts all summer long—now, it’s time to give them a rest. Instead, layer up in prep-school-inspired skirts. Pair them with fitted tanks and chunky heels while it’s still warm; add sweaters, knits and clogs when weather gets chilly. Mix-and-match colors, patterns and textures to create a classic look that’s still all your own.

Distressed Denim: Ripped jeans know no season, so don’t be scared to pair them with the more typical fall favorites, like leather jackets, chunky sweaters and thick scarves. Use sparkling statement jewelry and hair clips to dress up an outfit that’s otherwise casual.

Boots, Boots, Boots: Short or tall, boots are a must-have for the back to school. Knee-highs are the most flattering when worn with mini skirts like the one mentioned above, while ankle booties polish off a pair of menswear-inspired trousers perfectly. Keep your boots looking fresh daily by adding different tights and socks to the mix—more layers add more interest to an outfit and help to balance the look of it.

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.