9 Things You’re Bound To See On Thanksgiving Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

One more week until Thanksgiving break and I see visions of turkeys dancing in my head… Here’s 10 things you should expect to see on the holiday that gives you all the permission in the world to stuff yourself with as much food as possible.

1.  Food

Obviously.  Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, noodles, rolls, sweet potato casserole and my favorite: PUMPKIN PIE (and lots of it).  You name it, there will be food on the table. 

2.  Family

The family members you love, the family members you aren’t quite sure how you can possibly be related and the family members you barely see except for on holidays like this, expect to see them all gathered around the table sharing conversations that are sure to be a memorable experience.

3.  Football

Prepare to watch all the guys of the family gather around the TV and be oblivious to everyone else around them.  You’ll hear words like: “TOUCHDOWN”, “YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME”, “COME ON REFS” and my favorite, “Is it time to eat yet?”

4.  Black Friday Ads

This is where the women of the family sit and talk about their Black Friday game plans.  They take this very seriously, so you’re bound to hear awesome deals and these ads spread all over the table like blueprints.

5.  Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

A tradition.  Luckily, it comes on earlier than the football game, so everyone will get to watch.  It is always interesting to see the creative floats, balloons and marching band numbers.

7.  #HappyThanksgiving on all forms of social media.

Selfies, food pics, family pics, “I’m thankful for…” posts and much, much more will flood all worlds of social media.  It’s great to see so much cheer and happiness.  We all have a reason to be thankful, so don’t forget to share yours!

8.  Traditions

We all have our holiday family traditions.  It’s important to take part and be happy with your family.  It isn’t too often that you can all be together, make the most of it.

9.  Happiness

You are bound to see smiles on everyone’s face.  This holiday is about gathering with family, sharing a meal, and being thankful for all that you have.  What isn’t there to smile about?

Whatever you may see, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Kaitlyn is a senior print journalism major at West Virginia University with a minor in music performance.  She enjoys writing, playing music, being outdoors and binge watching Netflix.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.