8 Things Freshmen Miss Most About Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. The food

Because nobody can live on Grab and Go sandwiches and Taziki’s forever. Every hometown has that one place that not even Morgantown can duplicate.

2. Showering without flip flops

No matter how many times the stalls are cleaned, you just can’t stop staring at the remains of a hairball in the drain. 

3. Seeing animals 

Every pet owner misses their fur baby, so when you see a random dog on campus, you naturally just want to hug it.

4. Not being tired from walking everywhere

Unlike the lucky few that bring their cars to school, most freshmen have to get around via foot and by the time you get to where you’re going, you’re too tired to do it.

5. The comfort of a familiar bed

Because almost rolling off a twin sized bed 4 feet off the ground is quite the wake up call.

6. Shopping

Everyone has that one store at home that’s always their go-to, and odds are it’s not Downtown or even within walking distance, so it’ll just have to wait.

7. Privacy- or lack thereof

Dorm life can be great, but being with people 24/7 has it’s downfalls. Whether it’s not being able to blare your music without your neighbors getting annoyed, or having to walk down the hall to change your clothes, the lack of privacy is something all freshmen have to get used to.

8. Friends and family, obviously

But the feeling of that group hug outweighs all the homesickness. 

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!