8 Things Everyone Thinks About When Getting Tattooed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Getting a tattoo can be a very stressful process for anyone, especially if it’s your first. Many, many thoughts run through everyone’s head while they’re getting inked, here’s just a few:

1. Will this hurt?

It kind of speaks for itself that any tattoo is going to hurt, but especially if it’s your first time going under the gun, you may psych yourself up for no reason. If it’s especially painful like the spine or ribs, just think about how great the outcome will be!

2. What if I don’t like the outcome?

This runs through everyone’s mind even as early on as when your artist takes their first stroke. It’s permanent, everyone freaks out about potentially being stuck with something on your body forever, but if you love it on paper you’ll love it even more on your skin!

3. Will people judge me?

In today’s society, people will find anything to judge someone about, and tattoos are not an exception. Just remember that you’re the only person who has to love it, your body is YOUR temple, decorate it!

4. What if my artist messes up?

Small mistakes happen, you might twitch slightly and your artist might color outside the line a little, nobody is perfect, but as long as you go to a good quality artist they should know how to correct their mistakes and leave you with a flawless piece of artwork.

5. I really need to stretch

When getting a tattoo, sitting completely still is so so so crucial. If you more your artist could mess up your piece, and while they can correct it sometimes, others can be harder to work around. Make your life and your artists life easier by sitting as still as you can, and if you have to move let them know first!

6. Is this almost over?

Having tiny needles poked into your skin thousands of times in exhausting, and you can’t wait to see the finished result. The waiting component can be the toughest for any tattoo veteran, no matter how thick your skin is.

7. What should I caption my new tattoo on insta?

Once it’s done and the inflammation has gone down, of course you want to show your new masterpiece off to all your followers, and the perfect caption will make it all the better. Use the pain as inspiration!

8. I can’t wait to show everyone

This kind of speaks for itself, of course you want to let everyone and their brother know you have a tattoo, because what’s more badass than getting ink shoved into your skin?

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!