8 Signs You Chose the Right Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1.You’re excited to wake up and go to your 8:30

NO ONE likes 8:30’s! They suck but when you really want to take that creative writing class for your Journalism major and it is only offered at 8:30 a.m. you suddenly love them. It’s easy to get up to do something you love doing (you just might need a big cup of coffee to make it through).

2.You listen to your professors in the beginning and end of class

It’s common to whip out your phone as soon as you get to class and start checking Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and you won’t stop until the professor says those magic words, “have a good day, I’ll see you next class.” Sometimes what the professor has to say at the beginning and end of each class is important and beneficial to your success and you’ll learn that when you fall in love with a major. They might be telling you about internship opportunities or clubs that you could join that would look awesome on a resume, pay attention!

3.You try to convince those who are undecided to join your major

You are always going to come across people who don’t know what they want to do with their lives but lucky for you, you know exactly what you want to do with your life! It’s your job to make others fall in love with what you’ve chosen to do and you will do everything in your power to make that happen. When they see how passionate you are they won’t be able to say no. 

4.When you get the syllabus you don’t calculate your absences

You can deny it all you want BUT when you get your syllabi every syllabus week, you flip right to the allotted absences section and think about the times you already know you’ll be missing class (for example the day after FallFest). That doesn’t happen when you are taking a course for your major because you’re excited to learn and you don’t want to miss any information that could help you in the future.

5.You’re more interested in your service learning classes than your extra curriculars

Service learning courses are one of the best things a school could offer to a student. Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates extremely meaningful community service with teaching and reflection. This helps students learn with real life experiences and could sometimes be more exciting than the sorority you joined or the club you are a member of. 

6.You can get A’s in all your major courses without even trying

It’s never easy to get straight A’s but it’s even harder when you don’t have an interest in the material. When you are interested in what you are learning you are more likely to pay attention during lecture and you will also feel more motivated to put in the extra time and effort into doing well. Most students seem to get the “who cares” attitude when they are a math major taking a writing course or visa versa. 

7.When family asks about school over the holidays you can’t wait to tell them

As a college student being home for the holidays can sometimes become dreadful because you are bombarded with questions like, do you have a boyfriend yet? How are your grades? And the most famous one, “how are you enjoying school?” Now that you love what you’re doing and learning, answering that question is simple and actually pleasing. It’s nice to be able to share your passion with others who are interested in hearing about it all. 

8.You connect with your professors

When you’re in the wrong major you look up at your professors and think, “why is this interesting to you? Why do you enjoy this? Why won’t you shut up?” But when you’re in the right major you just can’t wait to accomplish even half of what they have accomplished. 

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!