8 Reasons to Get Excited for Mountaineer Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Summer is finally fading into fall and we’re just a couple days away from the beginning of football season, AKA the best season of the year. It’s time to break out the blue and gold and get pumped for endless school spirit and good times with good friends. There are so many reasons as to why we should be getting excited for Mountaineer football:

1. Tailgates: Who doesn’t love a good tailgate? It’s like having a party with thousands of your closest friends. There’s nothing like being in the Blue Lot, surrounded by Mountaineers young and old. 

2. Traditions: From the pre-game show to ticket paper airplanes to the Mountaineer firing his rifle and doing push-ups after touchdowns, there’s endless little things that make up the Mountaineer tradition.

3. The Pride of West Virginia: There’s a reason why the marching band is called The Pride of West Virginia. If you’re not a football fan, you go for the band. 

4. Camaraderie: Even though you definitely don’t know every person in the stadium, you do know that they’re all there to support the same team. 

5. Chants: Shaking keys during kickoff. The first down and fourth down chants. Eat s**t Pitt. Let’s go Mountaineers. Is it really a WVU football game without a chant?

6. The food: Pepperoni rolls. Enough said.

7. Country Roads: There’s no other place in the world where you can put your arms around complete strangers at the end of a winning game and sing Country Roads. In the stadium, every Mountaineer is your family. 

8. Mountaineer Pride: No matter how hard your week was, no matter how homesick you may be, cheering on WVU is enough to remind you why you decided to come to Morgantown. 

Get hype, Mountaineers. It’s almost game day.

WVU '19, Pi Beta Phi. ONE at WVU Campus Leader. Adventure is out there.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!