8 Pieces of Advice I Wish I Had Listened To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Feeling regret is awful. Feeling regret after you were advised to do something or warned against something is even worse. Throughout your life, many people will try to give you advice, your parents, your friends, teachers, even strangers…it’s our choice whether we listen to them or not. For me, most of the time I regret not listening to my parents. The nagging, the lectures, the occasional argument, they’re all meant to guide you into making sensible decisions. But sometimes, you feel like you know more than your parents or whomever and do the complete opposite. Here are 10 pieces of advice I wish I had listened to:

1. Don’t worry about what others may think of you

This one is tricky because it’s easier said than done. But its one of those things that happens over time, as you get older you realize that you can’t live your life in constant fear of what others may think of you. Don’t be limited by others’ opinions, how you feel about yourself is what really matters.

2. Don’t overthink it

How many of you are guilty of taking a small thing and blowing it up into something bigger than it really is? Me too. All the time. This is just a matter of taking things lightly. Most of the time it turns out to be way less serious than you thought.

3. Don’t chase someone who doesn’t want you

Instead of painfully wasting your time and effort interpreting text messages or replaying situations in your head, realize that if you’re not getting what you want out of someone, it may be time to let that one go. When you connect with someone, you’ll know it because it feels effortless and familiar.

4. Sleep on it

As simple as this one seems, it’s probably the one we all take the most for granted. Impulsivity can be exciting but equally dangerous. In the midst of anger or sadness, we can make decisions that can cause irreparable damage to ourselves or others. One of the best ways to combat that is giving yourself time to walk away or sleep on whatever it is that is bothering you.

5. Don’t expect others to do things for you

One of the painful truths of growing up is that you can no longer rely on anyone to do things for you. If you want something done, you have to figure out a way to do it yourself. No one is going to hand you anything for free, that’s just the world we live in. The only person that will have your back unconditionally is yourself.

6. You are the people you surround yourself with  

I can hear my parents saying this to me in high school. It’s a matter of choosing your friends wisely. Whether we realize it or not, the people in our lives have a profound impact on us.

7. What’s meant to be will be

Everything that happens in our lives happens for a reason. Somethings we can control, but most of the time we can’t. It’s a fact of life we all struggle to accept but know that if something is truly meant to be, it will happen eventually. Just be patient.

8. It’s okay to say no

Some of us have this uncontrollable need to please people, which makes saying no difficult. But it’s okay to say no if you feel uncomfortable, it’s silly to think you don’t have that option.

Ashley a senior from Virginia Beach, VA attending WVU. She is currently majoring in Print Journalism and minoring in Spanish. After graduating in May 2016, she hopes to start her career by writing for a magazine or online media company. Besides blogging, she enjoys the going to the beach, watching movies and spending time with the ones she loves. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.