7 Things Only Upperclassmen Understand at WVU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The seniors and juniors at West Virginia University have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Over the past four years, the university has undergone some changes that upperclassmen will never forget. Take a ride down memory lane as we reminisce on the old WVU we all know and love.

1. When Sunnyside was still Sunnyside.

After extreme construction, the area known as Sunnyside is no longer the way we remember it. The construction started when we first entered WVU, but we heard and even experienced the excitement of nightlife in Sunnyside. From endless house parties to houses that were barely standing, Sunnyside will forever live in our hearts. I still really don’t like you, UPlace.

(http://www.findharri.com/products/beverly-ave)

2. When Annex was named Cellar.

When underclassmen started calling it “Annex,” we knew it was time for us to move on. Cellar made more sense because of the way “Cellar sludge” rolls off the tongue. If you don’t know what the Cellar sludge is, then you’re too young to be reading this article.

3. When the MountainLair was the only student union.

Basically, when Evansdale was irrelevant. The MountainLair can feel a bit repetitive sometimes, but we can’t doubt the fact that it is the OG student union. Once The Crossing came along, Evansdale became great again. It’s a blessing and curse, I suppose.

4. When WVU Football was unstoppable.

WVU Football may not be #1 in the ranks lately, but in the past they were incredible. We remember watching Stedman Bailey and Geno Smith on the television the year before we came to school, then watching legends like Kevin White in the flesh at Milan Puskar. These are names many underclassmen don’t even know, which hurts my heart a bit.

5. When Tudor’s Biscuit World was located downtown.

Tudor’s is basically selling heart attacks on biscuits in the best of ways. If you haven’t been blessed by the food at Tudor’s, I feel sorry for you. Tudor’s used to be on High Street, within walking distance to the university. Now, Tudor’s only location in Morgantown is on Evansdale. Let’s have a moment of silence.

6. When Fall Fest was the best event of the year.

It still is cool, of course, but the welcome week concert seems to be on its way out. Fall Fest originally became a tradition due to the hysteria surrounding the events that occurred at block parties in the early 2000s. The free concert was the university’s way of providing somewhere for students to go instead of participating in partying. But instead, we combined both and made an entire party out of it on Frat Row. As the years go on, the line up gets worse and the location change to Evansdale has influenced the whole feel of the festival. The future of Fall Fest is a mystery, but the memories were priceless

(http://www.wvmetronews.com)

7. When the Sunnyside Suprette was alive and running.

Even if you didn’t shop here, the history of the Suprette was something awesome you couldn’t deny. If you look back on old photos, you can see the Sunnyside Suprette in all of them as a staple to the Sunnyside party culture. For youngins who don’t know, it was a locally owned convenience store that was ran out of business due to the opening of Sheetz. Sheetz is great, but the Suprette will forever be missed.

(https://www.flickr.com/photos/nessachan/8497185606)

Long live the memories of WVU. Things change, times change and people change. Eventually, you’ll be telling underclassmen about how great the university was before they arrived. But until then, we miss the old WVU the most. 

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!