50 Best Quotes From Fashion Designers & Influencers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Practical, insightful, witty or even a little raunchy, fashion designers and influencers have said it all throughout the decades. In fact, 50 of their best quotes are meaningful enough to be applied to life inside and outside the dressing room.

1.     Make it simple, but significant. – Don Draper

2.     I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are. – Diane von Fürstenberg

3.     Attitude is everything. – Diane von Fürstenberg

4.     “No” is a full sentence. – Mary-Kate Olsen, Miss Vogue, Spring/Summer 2015

5.     You get on with life by facing it. – Betty Halbreich, I’ll Drink to That: Life in Style, with a Twist

6.     Great style, of course, has less to do with physical beauty than with high intellect. – Betty Halbreich, I’ll Drink to That: Life in Style, with a Twist

7.     It’s true that if you have form without substance, you’re empty. But if you have substance without form, you’re boring.  – Betty Halbreich

8.     The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. – Coco Chanel

9.     Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity. – Coco Chanel

10.  It’s very important to take risks. I think that research is very important, but in the end you have to work from your instinct and feeling and take those risks and be fearless. – Anna Wintour

11.  In order to be well dressed, you must be well naked. – Oscar de la Renta

12.  One is never overdressed or underdressed in a little black dress. – Karl Lagerfeld

13.  Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants. – Karl Lagerfeld

14.  Trendy is the last stage before tacky. – Karl Lagerfeld

15.  You can have anything you want in life if you dress for it. – Edith Head

16.  Your dress should be tight enough to show you are a woman, and loose enough to show you are a lady. – Edith Head

17.  When in doubt, wear red. – Bill Blass

18.  Anyone can get dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress on their days off that is the most intriguing. – Alexander Wang

19.  The real proof of an elegant woman is what is on her feet. – Christian Dior

20.  People will stare. Make it worth their while. – Harry Winston

21.  I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity—all I hope for in my clothes. – Yves Saint Laurent

22.  Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman wearing it. – Yves Saint Laurent

23.  Isn’t elegance forgetting what one is wearing? – Yves Saint Laurent

24.  Fashion is not necessarily about labels. It’s not about brands. It’s something else that comes from within you. – Ralph Lauren

25.  I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine. You can’t possess radiance; you can only admire it. – Elizabeth Taylor

26.  Real style is never right or wrong. It is a matter of being yourself on purpose. – G. Bruce Boyer

27.  Women who wear black lead colorful lives. – Neiman Marcus

28.  When I woman says, “I have nothing to wear,” what she really means is, “there is nothing here for who I’m supposed to be today.” – Caitlin Moran

29.  Not everything happens for a reason. Sometimes life just sucks. – Alexa Chung

30.  Nobody goes through life without having their heart broken, and one day you’ll wake up and it will be okay. – Alexa Chung 

31.  I don’t give a fuck what people think, because people don’t think. – Kanye West

32.  The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. – Audrey Hepburn

33.  There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl’s complexion. – Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany’s

34.  You are either in your bed or in your shoes, so it pays to invest in both. – John Wildsmith

35.  At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can. – Frida Kahlo

36.  Take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. – Frida Kahlo

37.  I am my own muse. I am the subject I know best; the subject I want to better. – Frida Kahlo

38.  What people say isn’t going to stop me. I have to do things for myself. – Kate Moss

39.  It’s a sin to be tired. – Kate Moss

40.  I like someone who is a little crazy, but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess. – Angelina Jolie

41.  I’m not frightened by anyone’s perception of me. – Angelina Jolie

42.  It’s a mistake to think that once you’re done with school, you need never learn anything new. – Sophia Loren

43.  I leave before being left. I decide. – Brigitte Bardot

44.  Only idiots refuse to change their minds. – Brigitte Bardot

45.  My mother was right: When you’ve got nothing left, all you can do is get into silk underwear and start reading Proust. – Jane Birkin

46.  I’d rather live on my own than live with a face that looks at me with the wrong eyes. – Jane Birkin

47.  I’m open to love, but guys should have to earn it. Because the minute they get it, they want something else. – Rihanna, Cosmopolitan, July 2011

48.  I’m waiting for the man who’s ballsy enough to deal with me. I’m going to wait, though. You always find the wrong shit when you go looking. – Rihanna, Vogue, October 2012

49.  For me it’s tougher to be vulnerable than to be tough. – Rihanna, Cosmopolitan, July 2011

50.  Don’t let fear or insecurity stop you from trying new things. Believe in yourself, and most importantly: be kind to others, even if you don’t like them. – Stacy London

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.