5 Things To Try This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Summer is a time to kick back, lie in the sun, and booze to most people – but why not try some new things to spice up your summer and make unforgettable memories? We only get one chance to live our life and as college students we’re given three months a year to do absolutely nothing, which when we graduate will slowly grow into work and families. This is our time to do everything we want to do before the opportunity is no long there.

1. Study Abroad
This is a great time to study abroad; it’s not as long as the full semester abroad programs, but it still has the same experience and still offers course credits for attending. A lot of the programs in the summer do extensive community service work there also, therefore you can help save the world and get an amazing experience out of it!

2. Road Trip
Road trip with your friends to places you’ve never been. Last summer I went to Montreal with my best friends and experienced the city with them – needless to say it was WILD. You get to run around a city with your best friends (the drinking age is 18). Beaches offer cheaper hotel stays since it isn’t prime vacationing time for spring breaks and major holidays, so go somewhere south and work up a nice tan.

3. Cook out
Have random cook-out days days every so often and invite your friends over. It’s a good way to broaden your cooking horizons while enjoying the sun and friends.

4. Join a Sport
Join a city-league team. A lot of cities host “softball” and “kickball” leagues in the summer time, and since it’s not really that serious in the summer time, it’s a good way to have fun and stay active over the summer when you have the urge to slack on your workout schedule.

5. Be Happy!
Treat yourself to something nice. A lot of people forget about keeping themselves happy. There’s plenty of opportunity over the summer to treat yourself to a spa day or something along those lines. If you don’t have some relaxing days to recuperate your body will start to hate you for all the sun and beers.

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.