5 Cheap Summer Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

After a long year of school, you may have found that you need to start watching what you spend. Now that you have more time to do things, but less money to spend, you may be wondering what there is to do that is cheap and fun. Movies and nice restaurants can be expensive, so I’ve decided to share a little insight on a few cheap dates that you can go on without breaking the bank. Next time you are feeling spontaneous or are in the mood for a little romance, give these dates a try.

1. Go Swimming
Living in Morgantown this summer? you are in prime location for lakes and other popular swimming spots. If you don’t feel like going far, Cheat Lake is no more than 15 minutes outside of town and is a beautiful spot to enjoy some summer sun. Blue Hole, which is a little further away, is also a hot spot where you can find many other college age students enjoying the weather. Go swimming, get some ice cream and enjoy the summer sun together.

2. Go Camping Under the Stars
If you are in Morgantown, there are plenty of campgrounds close where you can go set up a tent for just the two of you. If you are back home, wherever that may be, take a blanket and lie out in the grass and look at the stars. Start a campfire and make s’mores. This is the perfect date where you can enjoy some alone time. Turn off the cell phones and enjoy the quality time away from the rest of the world.

3. Plan a Picnic

I know, it sounds kind of corny, but it really is a good date where you can talk and enjoy each other’s company. Have each of you bring different foods (maybe surprise each other) and set up a blanket outside, either in a park or in your backyard. This date can also be combined with date #2. Pour a little wine and eat a little food; I mean this beats any $25 meal, right?

4. Switch-a-roo
Maybe you and your guy have totally different hobbies. Take an afternoon and do what he likes to do and then vice versa. After that, choose something you both would enjoy together. Maybe you both like to ride bikes. Summer is the perfect time to rent bicycles and ride on a trail or even just through your neighborhood. This time together will bring you closer together because everyone is happy at the end of the day.

5. Rediscover Childhood
Take a trip to the local aquarium and/or zoo. What better way to spend an afternoon walking around, looking at all the animals and enjoying time with each other? This date is a good way to talk about your childhood memories and other things that your partner didn’t know about you. Also, pack a lunch and eat it while you’re there, so you don’t have to pay for the overpriced food.

These are just a couple of the many inexpensive dates that you and your partner could enjoy. My suggestion? Use these as a guide to make your summer romance amazing!

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.