4 Things to Think About Before Getting a Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. Where will you put it

Although most people get tattoos because it means something to them, it doesn’t mean that it means something to your future employer. Everyone should consider placing their tattoo somewhere that only they will be able to see. There are of course employers who will hire someone with a tattoo but by making your tattoo basically invisible to the outside world you can avoid getting denied a job just based solely on having a tattoo.

2. They are permanent

You can’t get a tattoo and wash it off 3 weeks later. That is not how it works. My mom always said to print out a picture of a tattoo you were interested in getting, put it next to your bed and if you still loved it after a year then get it. It’s easy to get sick of something that isn’t necessarily meaningful to you so make sure what you are permanently putting on your body you will love in 50 years from now.

3. The meaning

Don’t get one on impulse. Make sure your heart beats every time you look at it. Make sure that when someone sees it you aren’t ashamed. Make sure you are proud to have it.

4. Your significant other

DO NOT get a significant others name tattooed on your body. I know it seems sweet but play it safe, you don’t know what could happen in the next 20+ years. Look at Grant and Lace from Bachelor in Paradise (better known as “Grace”).

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!