15 Reasons WVU Football Season Is The Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. Tailgates last all day – Whether it’s at a friend’s house or directly outside of the stadium, tailgating gets the crowd ready for each game. After all, what better reason to have a cornhole tournament or shotgun a couple of beers than during a tailgate?

2. Fall season is finally here – When football begins, so does autumn. The leaves are changing colors, giving the perfect background for a selfie outside of the stadium in your cute scarves and boots.

3. It’s time to break out the paint – Game day means you have the chance to paint your body or face blue and gold, so you might as well do it and show off your love for WVU! 

4. Everyone becomes your friend – That is, everyone wearing blue and gold. All differences are thrown aside as football season brings the student body together in support for our team.

5. The Mountaineer – Who doesn’t love watching the Mountaineer run around on the football field, waving our flag as he gathers our spirits? 

6. The Atmosphere – The moment our team steps onto the field, it’s as though nothing else matters.

7. A sea of blue and gold – The stadium during every home game is absolutely breathtaking. It’s as though the only colors that exist in the world are blue and gold.

8. The Pride of West Virginia – There’s nothing better than watching our marching band take the field and form the flying WV as well as the outline of our state. 

9. Special Games – Homecoming, Gold Rush, True Blue, and Stripe the Stadium are games to always look forward to. We come together as a school to support our team as we decorate the stadium.

10. There’s an excuse to drink all day – 7 o’clock night game? Looks like I’ll start drinking when I wake up. The game’s at 3? I’ll wake up earlier and grab a beer.

11. Away games – It doesn’t matter if the game’s away, because that just means someone will be throwing a watch party and you can spend the day drinking with friends and cheering for our team.

12. Chants echoing through the stadium – The beautiful sound of one half of the stadium screaming “Let’s go!” only to be followed with “Mountaineers!” from the opposite side.

13. Students being tossed in the air – At every touchdown, you either see it or take part in it. The smallest girl is tossed in the air to count how many touchdowns we’re at, while everyone cheers along.

14. The perfect conversation starter – Need something to talk about? All you have to do is bring up WVU football and it’s the perfect way to start a passionate conversation about something you both love.

15. The Aftermath – Win or lose, WVU fans always stick together. Whether we’re swaying side to side while belting out Country Roads or smacking the exit sign while wishing we could have come out victoriously, we always love and support the Mountaineers.

A junior at West Virginia University, Erin is majoring in Journalism (emphasis on Print) and working to achieve a minor in Creative Writing. Erin is currently the president of the Alpha Pi chapter of the national service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha, and is a member of the Alpha Pledge class. She plans to pursue a career in journalism and focus on arts & entertainment.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.