15 Lessons I’ve Learned from College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

1. Having parents who love and support you unconditionally is a major blessing. You have to remember that not everyone has this in their life and if you do, you are extremely lucky.

2. Who you were in high school has nothing to do with who you will be in college. College is a completely different world, and labels no longer exist.

3. You will have some bad days, but it’s completely okay. Everyone has bad days—no matter who you are or where you are. College doesn’t just magically eradicate all of the bad from your life.

4. Everyone eventually misses a class or two. As long as you don’t make a habit of it, it’s okay. Just breathe and be sure to email your teacher to see what you missed.​

5. Everyone has different opinions on controversial topics. Be sure to talk with someone who has a differing view from yours (in a respectful manner, of course). You may learn a thing or two.

6. You learn to forgive others who may have wronged you in the past. It’s harder to carry the baggage of hatred than it is to forgive and move on.

7. You are bigger than your demons. Whatever has you down does not have the power to keep you in that position forever. Take control of your life.

8. Join clubs related to your major. You’ll meet many similar people to you who may end up being some of your closest friends and biggest supporters.

9. It’s okay to quit a club/activity that you are no longer interested in. The only obligation you have is to your own happiness.

10. No one can decide who you are but you. You are the only one who can define who you are.

11. Be willing to take a few risks. Ask that special person out, join that club you’re unsure about, befriend the person next to you at that party, etc. Life is too short to play it safe all the time.

12. Make connections with your professors and advisors. They can help you to make real-world connections with professionals in your field, and a vast majority lot of the time they are pretty cool people.

13. Stop comparing yourself to others. We’re all on different tracks in life, and we’re all just trying to do our best.

14. It’s okay to go out and have fun! College is all about socialization and experimentation.

15. Stay true to yourself and don’t forget your boundaries and morals. Don’t change who you are for a certain person/group of people.

I'm a freshman journalism student involved with U92 FM, Daily Athenaeum, and Public Relations Student Society of America. I love Twin Peaks, cult films, classic rock, and Star Wars.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.