14 Things That Happen When You’re In A Relationship With A Good Guy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s pretty much a known fact that teenage girls and girls in their early twenties love douchebags… except there’s also those girls that never outgrow that stage.  No offense to those girls but I’m really sorry that none of your relationships are working out.

Trust me, finding a good guy and getting to call him your boyfriend is a complete game changer.  He’s fun, good looking, and (imagine this) NICE AND LOYAL.  But, it’s not even just about how great he is, it’s about how much better you feel about yourself and how much happier you are when you have someone who brings you up instead of down.

Don’t believe me? Here’s some reasons you should give that douchebag a big “GOOD-BYE!” and find a good guy to call your own.

1. You don’t just a have a boyfriend, you have a best friend.

I’m sure you see those girls that are actually super freaking happy all the time with their boyfriend… the ones that are constantly laughing and smiling instead of arguing all the time. Maybe you actually are one of those lucky girls. If you’re lucky enough to have a boyfriend that you can truly say is your best friend – he makes you laugh until your stomach hurts with your inside jokes, you can talk about everything, you can eat AS MUCH AS you want without him judging you – then hold him tight and never let him go!

2. Your “arguments” will consist of whether you’ll be watching Saving Private Ryan or The Longest Ride.

Whether it’s the movie you’re watching, if you want Italian or Mexican for dinner, or what bar you want to go to that night, your “arguments” are never really over anything serious because you don’t really have much to argue about.

3. You can trust them completely.

Let’s be honest. With today’s social media atmosphere cheating is so easy.  Tinder. Sliding into DM’s. There’s so many apps that let you be sneaky. But one thing I can promise you is that a good guy will never sneak around behind your back and if you’re lucky to find a guy like that, you’d be an idiot to ever sneak around behind his.

4. You finally understand how nice it is to actually have a gentleman around.

Opening doors for you, telling you you’re pretty when you feel like you look like crap, taking you out to dinner, texting you just to say good morning and/or good night, stopping by the library to bring you a snack (or Panera) because they know how stressed you’ve been by the pure fact that you haven’t left in 12 hours meaning you probably haven’t had a real meal since sometime before you arrived.

Can you honestly say that you would rather have some over confident guy who your parents would probably not approve of than a gentleman like that?

5. Your parents will love him.

Even your dad and brother who have never approved of any guys you or your sister have brought home before will love the guy who clearly treats you well and takes the time to get to know your family.  Pick up game with your dad and brother? Of course. Helping your mom carry groceries in? No brainer.

6. You will always have someone to cheer you up.

They’ll be real with you and tell you when you’re just being overly emotional because it’s “that time of the month” but they’ll also ask who they need to go beat up (jokingly) when someone makes you mad/sad.  They never want to see you upset and will do their best to cheer you up… even if they’re mad at you.

7. Someone will always be on your side. (unless you’re just completely in the wrong but even then he would never call you out and embarrass you in front of a ton of people!)

8. You have someone to laugh with.

Inside jokes, movie quotes, making fun of politicians.  You’ll always have someone there with you to laugh until your stomach hurts.

9. You have someone to make memories with.

Netflix & Chill is not his top choice of date.  You’ll actually get those old fashioned dates that you probably think don’t exist anymore.  Day trip to the zoo, dinner and a movie, a study night at the library together, even a trip to the gun range… you won’t just sit in one of your apartments watching Netflix every night.

10. You forget about every other guy that has ever hurt you.

This one is self explanatory. If you have a guy that makes you happy, who cares about any guy you may have had a fling with.. but seriously, what was his name again?

11. “You hang up first..,” “No.. you hang up first”

Having someone that actually wants to talk to you is the best feeling ever. You have conversations that consist of more than “hey… what are you up to?… okay so want to come over in a little bit?… cool! See you soon!”

12. Your friends think he’s good enough for you.

They’ve been there for the best of times and the worst of times.  They’ve yelled at guys who have made you cry and stayed up until sun rise just to make sure you feel better.  Your friends know how fragile you can be and never want to see you upset so when this new guy comes along of course they are going to try to find out everything they can to make sure he’s good enough for you!  If your squad approves and can admit he’s a great guy, never, ever let him go!

13. You feel safe when he’s around.

He’ll protect you no matter what. When you go out at night and he stays at home he’ll come get you from the bar to make sure you don’t walk home alone. He’ll make sure he walks on the side of the sidewalk closest to the cars. He truly wants to the best for you and always wants his girl to be safe and happy.

14 . He’s makes you extremely happy and you know you’re truly lucky to have such a great guy in your life!

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.