10 Ways to Get Involved on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Fall semester is back in full swing and many of you might be thinking of ways to get more involved at WVU.  Whether you are a freshman looking for a fresh start with new groups and activities or a senior looking for more groups to join, WVU has many great organizations and activities to get involved in.  Do not be afraid to take the plunge into something new.

1.  Miscellaneous Clubs

WVU offers a variety of clubs that are sure to grasp your attention and curiosity.  You can find clubs within your college major that would be beneficial for your future career as well as clubs that can be for entertainment purposes.  It’s great to have so many options available for each individual’s interest.  To check out all of the clubs WVU has to offer, click here.

2.  Student Government

Student Government Association (SGA) is a great way to get involved in helping the university.  SGA has weekly meetings that are open to the public where you can express any opinions, concerns or comments to better WVU.  For more information on SGA, visit its website.

3.  Club Sports

Are you an athlete?  Do you want to play on a team here at WVU?  Check out all of the organized club sports on campus.  Take a chance and try-out.  It’s a great way to stay healthy and have fun.  For more information on the offered club sports as well as try-out dates, click here.

4.  Creative Arts Organizations

Do you play an instrument or want to learn?  WVU’s music program is top-notch, and it can be very rewarding to participate in one of its many ensembles.  No matter your taste in music, there is something for you.  Head on over to WVU Music’s website and see what they have to offer.

5.  Greek Life

There are many fraternities and sororities on campus.  Greek life can be very rewarding in terms of service and friendship.  It gives you the opportunity to make lifelong friendships and connections.  You will also get the opportunity to engage in philanthropy.  For more information: click here.

6.  Speaker Series

Many colleges on campus offer a guest speaker series for students, professors and the public to engage in topics related to them.  For example, if you are a business major, the College of Business and Economics offers a speaker series dedicated to that subject.  It is a great way to meet professionals and make connections as well as learn more about your future career.

7.  Career Fairs

These happen usually every semester to help you make connections with future employers.  Take these opportunities to give you an idea of what you need to do to prepare for after graduation.  You can even learn how to interview and create a professional resume.  For upcoming listings of career fairs here at WVU, click here.

8.  Internships

Do you want to get started on career aspirations and boost your resume?  Looking for an internship can be very beneficial and exciting.  You can find many locally and receive college credit.  Professors highly recommend having an internship and future employers will be impressed.

9.  Community Service

There are many community service opportunities available here at WVU and in Morgantown.  By using the iServe Online Service Management System, you can find opportunities as well as record your service hours.  To check it out, visit the iServe website.

10.  WVU Maniacs

We all love our Mountaineers and want to support them at sporting events.  Joining the Maniacs will give you the opportunity to have the best seats at games and even travel to away games.  The Maniacs offers many events to participate in and you get a free Maniacs t-shirt!  For more information, visit the WVU Maniacs website.

While all these above are great ways to get involved, there are many other opportunities on campus.  It’s rewarding to be a part of something on campus and make friendships.  You can learn many new things and have fun doing it.  Make your time here at WVU the best it can be and get involved!

Kaitlyn is a senior print journalism major at West Virginia University with a minor in music performance.  She enjoys writing, playing music, being outdoors and binge watching Netflix.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.